Longside stage comeback but it’s just not enough

junior football

Longside 3

Colony Park 4

Longside had Colony Park as visitors on Saturday in the PMAC group First Division East.

Home keeper McGarva came for a high ball before spilling it and handling it outside the area, from the free kick the defensive wall did its job when Brown’s strike was blocked before being cleared.

The home defence were caught again when Dorrat was sent clear but his shot was well saved by McGarva when he parried the ball for a corner which came to nothing.

Longside counter attacked when Weir found Butcher but his shot was straight at Marwick. Strachan turned well in the box for Colony before firing in a shot which was blocked before McGarva saved.

Maitland had a great chance to score when he ran clear but he fired it over the top.

Colony opened the scoring in 23 minutes when a mix-up between Weir and McGarva allowed Jack Strachan to fire home. Two minutes later they doubled their advantage when Dorrat beat McGarva to the ball before squaring it for Strachan to score from close range.

Dyce sent Mackie clear for Longside and his shot was well save by Marwick for a corner, Mackie’s kick was easily cleared.

A superb ball from Munro sent Butcher clear, the striker did well to head flick the ball away from Marwick but the keeper reacted brilliantly to save.

A Stott shot from the edge of the box was saved by Marwick turning it round the post for a corner. Mackie’s kick was headed on by Butcher and Dyce at the far post could only nod it into the side netting.

The visitors scored a third in 43 minutes when a corner was cleared only as far as CalvinRoddie 25 yards out and he fired it into the net.

Butcher had hard luck for Longside when he beat two players but couldn’t get enough power in his shot.

Bain did well at the other end to prevent his side from going further behind

Longside made a change for the start of the second half with Shewan replacing Harris.

The home side pulled a goal back in 48 minutes when a Munro corner caused panic in the Colony defence and Philip Dyce was on hand to force the ball over the line.

A free kick was cleared as far as Maitland but his hook shot from 25 yards was well wide.

Strachan was in the clear with a great chance but McGarva made another fine save.

Butcher then tried a shot from 30 yards but his effort was straight at the keeper.

Colony forced two corners in quick succession and from the second Mess got up at the far post but couldn’t get his header on target.

On the hour mark Longside got a second when again the visitors didn’t deal with a high ball into the penalty area and dyce scored his second.

Longside replaced Stott with Jamieson. Roddie scored his second when he was played in from a quick free kick and he guided the ball beyond McGarva.

Longside made their final

change with Fulton replacing Bain. Munro cut inside before firing in a shot from just outside the box that went inches wide.

Longside reduced the deficit to one again in 81 minutes when a Shewan strike was saved by Marwick but Butcher followed up to score.

A Roddie corner was met by Mess but his header was tipped over the bar by McGarva. A short free kick from Colony again sent Roddie clear but his shot flashed across goal and out for a goalkick.

In the last minute a good move for Longside finished with Dyce being put clear but his shot was blocked before being cleared.

It was another case of what might have been for Longside, you cannot give a team of Colony Parks ability a three -goal start and expect to get something from the game.

They are certainly creating plenty chances but they are giving away too many cheap goals at the back. Longside’s next game is at home on Saturday to Newmachar United with a 2pm kick-off.

LONGSIDE: McGarva, Dyce, Weir, Harris, Bain, Carr. Stott, Mackie, Butcher, Steele, Munro. Subs: Shewan, fulton, Jamieson, N. Davidson.