Longside’s bad run continues

Share this article

Longside 0-3 Stonehaven

Longside had Stonehaven as visitors on Saturday in the PMAC group Superleague.

The visitors had the better of the early exchanges without creating any clear cut chances.

A Lewis Shand shot was deflected for a corner, Watt’s kick was cleared upfield by Daniel.

At the other end Little found Danton at the back post and he headed the ball back into the danger area but Capstick made a fine save.

A 30 yard shot from Munro went well over the bar. A Watt corner was cleared as far as McCall but his shot was blocked and MacDonald was on hand to pick up the loose ball.

Stonehaven’s Low got booked for a clumsy challenge on the Longside keeper.

A free kick from Buchan was well cut out by Capstick. With 32 minutes gone Stonehaven were awarded a free kick 25 yards out, Taylor’s shot went well over the bar.

Capstick did well to save a Danton shot with Daniel getting to the rebound but he couldn’t divert it goalwards.

A dangerous cross from Mathieson was met by Martin Shand but he headed the ball wide. Longside made a change in 38 minutes when Nicol Davidson went off injured to be replaced by Weir.

A Danton shot from a Daniel corner was blocked on the line before being cleared. Just on time MacDonald made a brilliant save to turn away a Martin Shand header.

The score was 0-0 at half time.

Minutes into the second half Longside were awarded a free kick 30 yards out, Donaldson fired it high and wide. Stonehaven broke the deadlock in 53 minutes when hesitancy in the Longside defence allowed Darren Taylor to pick his spot in the net.

The home side had a narrow escape again minutes later when a McCall header was saved by MacDonald but his throw out came off one of his own players before Martin Shand prodded it wide. The home side made a second change when Butcher replaced Donaldson. The substitute was soon inaction when he picked up the ball from Munro but his shot was straight at Capstick.

Stonehaven had a great when Mathieson was presented with a free header but he sent it wide. Again the home defence struggled to get the ball clear in 70 minutes and Darren Taylor volleyed the ball into the back of the net.

Longside did have the ball in the net minutes later but the referee blew for an earlier foul which came to nothing. Butcher did well to get a cross over for Longside but Daniel coudn’t get enogh on his header and the chance was gone.

Darren Taylor completed his hat-trick in the 80th minute when he found himself with time to place the ball beyond MacDonald. In the closing minutes Longside had a chance for a consolation goal after a promising ball Daniel found Little in the box but he coudn’t get enough power on his shot.

A bad at the office all round for Longside, the first goal was always going to be vital and once Stonehaven got in front they went up a gear.

Longside: NacDonald, N.Davidson, Buchan, Donaldson, C.Davidson,Munro, Walker, Burr, Danton, Daniel and Little.

Subs: Butcher, Weir, Panton, Mair and Tait.

Referee: I.Bailey

This Saturday Longside are away to Hall Russell United in the PMAC group Superleague (ko:2.00pm)