Longside remain in bottom three

editorial image

LONGSIDE had FC Stoneywood as visitors on Saturday in the Superleague. The first chance of the match fell to Stoneywood’s Skinner in the fifth minute but Taylor managed to get the ball clear. Longside forced a corner, Cowie’s kick started a bit of a scramble but eventually Stephen managed to get the ball clear.

The visitors took the lead in the 15th minute when the home defence failed to get the ball clear and when it fell for Skinner he played it into the path of Ross Goodbrand and he fired a low shot past Thomson from the edge of the box.

A mistake by Stainton almost cost Longside a second goal when he played it straight to Stevenson but he fired his shot wide. Longside had a great chance when a fine free kick from Cowie found Taylor eight yards out but he couldn’t get his head on it.

A corner from Whyte caused panic in the visitors’ defence but again there was no Longside player getting on the end of it. Stoneywood forced two corners in quick succession but they came to nothing.

Campbell had a half chance when he collected a Davidson knock down but he pulled his shot wide. In the 41st minute Longside forced a corner but Whyte’s kick was well saved by Marwick.

Just before half time a 20-yard shot from Goodbrand was deflected for a corner, from the resultant kick Thomson made a fine save to keep out a Skinner header.

A good free kick from Whyte for Longside at the start of the second half found no takers and the ball went out for a goal kick. A Whyte corner was punched clear by Marwick as far as Cowie but his shot was deflected for another corner which came to nothing.

Taylor made a mistake to allow Skinner a run on goal but the defender recovered superbly to clear the ball for a corner, Rintoul’s kick was headed off the line by Geddes but only as far as Skinner but his shot struck the post and went out for a goalkick.

Longside made a double change on the hour mark when Cowie and Panton were replaced by Danton and Porter. Metelski broke clear for Stoneywood before finding Skinner in the centre but he fired the ball over the bar from 15 yards.

Danton did well on the right before crossing the ball over for Davidson but his shot was blocked before being cleared. The visitors were awarded a free kick just outside the box, Cromar’s kick went well over the bar. Longside made another change when Cardno replaced Campbell.

Farmer had a chance for Stoneywood but his low shot flashed across the goal before going past the post. Danton did have the ball in the net but it was ruled offside. A long throw from Danton was headed into the path of Davidson but his strike was well saved by Marwick.

This was a great chance lost for Longside to put some distance between themselves and Stoneywood but instead the bottom side are now only a point behind with a game in hand.

Once again it was a soft goal to lose but Longside struggled to get anything going and didn’t create enough chances.

This Saturday Longside are at home to Ellon United in the Superleague with a 2.30pm kick-off.

LONGSIDE: Thomson,

Geddes, Stainton,

Taylor, Craik, Panton, Whyte, Wood, Campbell, Davidson and Cowie. Subs: Danton, Usher, Reid, Bruce, Porter, Cardno.