Longside lose out in seven goal thriller

Share this article

Longside had Lewis United as visitors on Saturday in the Superleague. The home side took the lead in the opening minute when Ben Danton chased a lost cause down the right before winning the ball and shooting low past Fyfe.

The visitors drew level a few minutes later when Thomson failed to get to a high ball and it landed for Jindrich Biskup and he tapped the ball into the net. Worse was to follow for Longside in nine minutes when Biskuip ran onto a through ball before firing it past Thomson at the near post.

In the 16th minute Longside equalised when Cowie headed on a cross for Ben Danton to poke the ball into the net from ten yards. Davidson had a shot for Lewis from the edge of the box but his effort went wide.

Biskup broke from the middle of the park unchallenged before having a shot from 25 yards but Thomson had it covered. A good move down the right forced a corner for Longside, Cowie’s kick fell for Black but he drove his shot wide.

Mair ran clear for Lewis before chipping the ball over the advancing Thomson but Black got back to clear at the expense of a corner, Davidson’s kick fell to Sim on the edge of the box but he fired his shot wide. A Cowie cross was headed down by Whyte for Davidson but he drilled his shot wide.

Davidson won the ball for Longside in midfield before putting Danton clear who in turn found Whyte but his shot went inches wide.

Whyte sent over a great ball from the right, Panton got on the end of it but sent his header wide from 12 yards. Longdisw made a change when Black was replaced by Bruce. Lewis regained the lead in 56 minutes when Biskup played the ball through for Mike Mckinnon and he scooped the ball over Thomson.

A Bruce free kick was headed clear by Mair for a corner, Cowie took the kick but it was cleared upfield. The home side made a second change when Reid replaced Panton. Whyte did well again down the right and his cross was scrambled clear for a corner which came to nothing.

The home side had a great chance when Cowie clipped the ball into the middle for Whyte but his shot was blocked before being hit behind for another corner, Whyte’s kick was headed clear. Campbell replaced Cowie for Longside. A Davidson shot for Longside was turned round the post by Fyfe, Whyte’s corner was again cleared upfield.

Longside looked to have earned a deserved point in 88 minutes when Stuart Taylor rose to head home a Bruce free kick but the joy was short lived when a minute later Jindrich Biskup was given too much time in the box to smash the ball past Thomson.

A huge disappointment for Longside after the performance of last week. Costly defensive errors did not help their cause face a tough task this week for survival. Final Score : Longside 3 Lewis United 4

This Saturday Longside are away to F.C. Stoneywood in the Superleague (ko:2.15pm)