Longside let two-goal lead slip at Stonehaven

editorial image

LONGSIDE travelled to play Stonehaven on Saturday in the Superleague. The visitors created the first chance when Porter did well on the left and his cross found Park who played the ball inside for Campbell but he fired his shot wide.

The home side then forced two corners in quick succession and the second was cleared as far as Lewis Shand but his shot went straight to Shields.

Norris did well to work an opening for Longside and his shot was touched away by Smith for a corner which came to nothing. Longside opened the scoring in the 12th minute when a Bruce cross was headed down to Paul Campbell and he drilled his shot high into the net.

Three minutes later they doubled their lead when a Panton free kick was knocked down to Campbell to stroke home his second. At the other end a wicked cross from Pyper was well cleared by Panton at the expense of a corner, Horne’s kick was well taken by Shields but the referee had blown for an infringement inside the box.

Stonehaven were awarded a free kick just outside the box, and Horne’s strike went narrowly past. Horne then latched onto a long clearance from a suspiciously offside position before rounding the keeper and firing it into the side netting from an acute angle.

The home side pulled a goal back in 34 minutes when a Horne corner was forced over the line by Phil McCall from close range. Minutes later Horne gathered the ball outside the box before making space for a shot but his effort was well saved by Shields.

Stonehaven equalised in the 43rd minute when an Ian Cruickshank’s shot took a wicked deflection to leave Longside keeper Shields helpless.

The visitors almost snatched the lead again when Porter again skipped his way clear before crossing for Park and he side stepped the keeper before shooting inches wide.

Cruickshank forced a corner in 47 minutes, Horne’s kick was headed over the bar by Mccall. Stonehaven took the lead in 56 minutes when the Longside defence failed to get the ball clear it fell to David Glass on the edge of the box and he drilled a superb strike into the corner of the net.

A fine pass from Cruickshank put Horne clear but his shot went past the post. A Porter cross was headed on by Campbell but Park arriving at the far post couldn’t direct his header on target.

Longside had a great chance to equalise when Porter got free on the left before finding Danton but his close range header was saved at point blank range by Smith. The Longside cause became a lot harder in 67 minutes when Danton was shown a red card for abusive language.

Shields made a good save for Longside to deny Horne. The visitors made a double substitution with Donaldson and Butcher replacing Bruce and Park. A Panton free kick found Norris but he couldn’t direct his header on target. Horne looked set to seal the win for Longside but Donaldson timed his tackle to perfection and avert the danger.

Shields made a brilliant double save to deny Stonehaven substitute Buchanan. The home side sealed the points in the 86th minute when Lewis Shand took a return pass from Horne before firing the ball past Shields.

This was a disappointing result for Longside after putting themselves in a commanding position they lost their discipline and allowed Stonehaven back into the game with some sloppy defending.

There was no way back after they were reduced to ten men. This Saturday they are again on Superleague duty at home to FC Stoneywood, kick-off 2.30pm).

LONGSIDE: Shields, Beddie, Bruce, Panton, Craik, Geddes, Park, Norris, Danton, Campbell and Porter. Subs: Wheeler, Butcher, Usher, Whyte, Donaldson,Will and Cook.