Longside fight back to earn vital point

editorial image
Share this article

Longside had former champions Culter as visitors on Saturday in the Superleague. McWilliam ran clear for Culter but Thomson came out of his goal to make a good save. Marchi did have the ball in the net for Longside but the referee’s assistant had his flag up for offside.

The visitors opened the scoring in the 20th minute when Andrew Sim nipped in between Davidson and Thomson before sliding the ball into the net.

Culter went two goals ahead in 32 minutes when a Robertson free kick was deflected onto the bar before falling at the feet of Chris Mountfordto tap home.

A Marchi free kick was brilliantly saved by Farquhar who collided with the post in the process and needed treatment before carrying on.

Just on half time Longside were awarded a penalty when Paul Campbell was brought down in the box, he dusted himself down before making no mistake from the spot.

Three minutes into the second half the scores were level when Butcher did well before sending the ball through to Nico Marchi to drill high into the net.

The celebrations didn’t last long as Culter regained the lead in the 50th minute when Chris Mountford took advantage of slackness in the Longside defence to fire the ball into the net.

A good cross from Usher was met by Campbell but he fired his shot over the bar. Minutes later Campbell did well again when he weaved his way into the box and his low cross found Stainton arriving at the back post but his shot came back off the post before being cleared.

McArthur ran through on goal before rounding Thomson but the keeper and Beddie combined to get the ball clear. Marchi put over a superb cross but Usher just failed to make contact and the ball went out for a goalkick.

In the 70th minute Little replaced Usher for Longside. Thomson made a good save from McArthur before kicking the ball straight to McWilliam but he blocked his shot as well. The home side made another two changes with Butcher and Marchi being replaced by Cardno and Porter.

Longside were awarded another penalty in the final minute when Robertson fouled Paul Campbell inside the box and he gave Farquhar no chance with spot kick.

This was a great fightback from Longside who deserved to take something from the game.

After giving their opponents a two goal start they showed tremendous character to come back and earn a point.

Whyte was excellent at full back with some good deliveries also and Stainton put in a hard working performance in midfield.

This Saturday Longside finish the season with a trip to Maud in the Superleague, kick-off 2pm.

LONGSIDE: Thomson, Whyte, Davidson, Beddie, Craik, Norris, Butcher, Campbell, Marchi, Usher and Stainton.Subs: Cardno, Porter, Bruce and Little.