Longside down to third bottom after defeat at Stonehaven

Share this article

THERE was more disappointment for Longside on Saturday as they succumbed to a 2-0 defeat at the hands of Stonehaven.

Perhaps the Davidson Park boys deserved something from the game, but lady luck certainly didn’t shine on their side.

It was an end to end game with both keepers on top form, and it was the visitors who went straight on the attack when Duncan played the ball to Cardno and his shot was cleared for a corner. Bruce’s kick was punched clear as far as Whyte but his shot at goal was cleared.

A Taylor cross for Stonehaven was cleared for a corner by Thomson but it came to nothing.

Stainton saw his 25 yard shot for Longside saved by Smith. A swift attack by Longside saw Walker play the ball into the path of Bruce but he fired his shot wide from outside the box.

Alexander worked his way into a good position for a shot at goal but played a wayward pass and the chance was gone. A 25-yard shot from Lewis Shand was tipped over the bar by Thomson.

With 21 minutes gone Thomson made a fine double save to deny Horne and Martin Shand at the expense of a corner. Longside couldn’t deal with the ball in from Taylor and when Lewis Shand headed the ball against the bar Martion Shand tapped home the rebound.

The visitors forced a couple of corners but found the Stonehaven defence hard to break down. Horne had a snap shot from the edge of the box but Thomson was equal to the task. Norris drove forward before findind Bruce and his dangerous cross was cleared for what looked like a corner but the referee’s assistant awarded a goal kick.

A superb free kick from Bruce was just too far in front of Duncan and the ball was cleared. Just on half time a low shot from Horne was saved by Thomson.

A Norris shot at the start of the second half was blocked being cleared upfield. Arthur found Duncan with a fine pass but his cross was cleared for a corner which was scrambled clear.

At the other end Martin Shand linked up with Sinclair and his shot was saved by Thomson. Longside had a great chance to equalise when Cardno found Whyte arriving in the box, he flicked the ball goalward but Smith was there to make the save.

Thomson made a brilliant save to block a Sinclait shot. Bruce raced clear on the left but fired his shot straight at Smith.

On the hour mark Longside replaced Bruce with Little. A mistake by Beddie gave Martin Shand a chance but his shot flashed across goal.

Horne fired a 20-yard shot well over the top minutes later. A Little cross caused panic in the Stonehaven defence but they scrambled the ball clear. The home side were awarded a corner and when the kick came in Thomson was fouled.

With two minutes remaining Stonehaven dealt the killer blow when Murray took the ball round Thomson Stainton got back to block his shot but before the Longside defence could get the ball clear Lewis Shand scored with the aid of a wicked deflection.

Longside’s next game is again in the PMAC group North Superleague away to Dyce on Saturday, December 8 (ko 1.30pm).

Longside: Thomson, Stainton, Beddie, Arthur, Panton, Norris, Cardno, Whyte, Duncan, Walker and Bruce. Subs: Porter, Little, Butcher, Weir and Heatherwick