Longside crash out of Junior Cup

Share this article

Longside were defeated but certainly not disgraced when they were beaten 5-0 at Kirkcaldy in the Scottish Junior Cup.

The average age of the starting lineup on Saturday was under 19 so to make a game of it against a vastly experienced junior side was something the youngsters can be very proud of.

They showed a lot of spirit and cannot be faulted for the effort they put into the game right to the final whistle.

Longside made the long trip on Saturday to play Kirkcaldy YMCA in the second round of the Scottish Junior cup.

This was the first game in charge for the newly appointed manager Ali Hynd. The home side were first on the attack and a Greig cross was headed wide by Orrock at the back post.

Tait ran clear on the left onto a Little pass but Quinn got back to clear the danger.

Schiavone won a corner in the 10th minute, Meikle’s kick was well saved by Leiper.

Minutes later a high ball into the Longside penalty area was again well taken by Leiper.

Kirkcaldy’s pressure paid off in 24 minutes when they broke the deadlock when a Westwater cross wasn’t cleared by the home defence and Greig drilled the ball into the corner of the net.

With 30 minutes gone the home side were awarded a fortunate penalty when Buchan appeared to have won the ball but justice was done when O’Neill blasted the kick high over the bar.

A Meikle corner was then played back to him and he saw his shot go narrowly wide.

A Little free kick was cleared and Duncan did well to win it back but his pass was just too far in front of Burr and Gay gathered the loose ball.

Just on half time Kirkcaldy doubled their lead when Pelosi got to the byeline and cut it back for Steven Page to score from close range and make it 2-0 at the break.

Longside started the second half well and Davidson found Wallace on the right but his cross was well saved by Gay. Butcher soon found Tait in space and he tried a shot from 30 yards but his effort went over the bar.

Davidson then sent Duncan clear on the right and he sent over a superb cross but nobody was on hand to add the final touch and the chance was gone.

Kirkcaldy scored a third on 61 minutes when a Westwater corner was headed against Davidson by Sean O’Neill but he rifled the rebound into the roof of the net.

Burr did brilliantly for Longside winning the ball on the left before cutting inside and he saw his shot come crashing back off the bar with Gay beaten.

Leiper again made fine save before the ball broke to Gregg Meikle and he slipped it into the net.

Duncan was then sent clear again with only Gay to beat but he tried to take the ball round the keeper Gay was equal to the task and kept his goal intact.

The home side completed the scoring when a Greig shot was superbly saved by Leiper before he kept out Schiavone’s rebound but the ball broke for the striker to shoot home.

Longside: Leiper, N.Davidson, Weir, Munro, Buchan, Little, Burr, Wallace, Duncan, Butcher and Tait.

Subs- Ferris and MacDonald.

Referee- C. Carrick

This Saturday Longside are at home to Banchory St.Ternan in the PMAC Group Superleaguemake (ko:2.00pm).