Longside consolidate position at top with another victory

Share this article

Longside Thistle consolidated their position at the top of the league after winning against Buchanhaven rangers by 5-0. The goals came from David Little with a brace and one apiece from Davie Anderson, Martin Forman and Dale McCouaig.

Third place Cuminestown played hosts to second place Mambos for the second time in four days and it ended in a 1-1 draw.

A draw didn’t suit any of the two clubs which both losing ground on league leaders Longside.

Peterhead Pensioners played host to Harbour Lights and it ended in the first win of the season for the visitors after they came away with a 7-2 victory.

Grange United faced Methlick in another league match and the away side continued their recent good form winning by 5-2.

The home side will be looking to reverse this result on Thursday when they both do battle in the SoccerWorld League Cup semi-final.

Harbour Lights entertained League leaders Longside Thistle and this game was decided by a single goal which was scored by Scott McSeveney.

Ardallie had Buchanhaven Rangers as opponents and the home side went on to collect all three points in a 6-1 win.

The winning goals came from Wemyss with a brace and one each from Aitken, Ingram, McNeill and Wright and for the visitors was Paul McIntosh.

Peterhead Pensioners entertained Cuminestown and this was expected to be a close game and it ended with the away side winning by the odd goal in three.

In the semi-final of the League Cup Methlick faced Grange United.

The first chance fell to Stewart of Methlick but keeper Cairns came out to block.

On 15 minutes a break up field saw a Dear shot beat Cairns but Waddell got back to clear off the line.

On 19 minutes Grange took the lead after a AJ Buchan shot was parried out, Walker was on hand to fire into the roof of the net.

Walker was foiled by Keeper Burnette just before half time when he was through on goal.

Into the second half and both keepers Cairns and Burnette had good saves. On 65 minutes Methlick was awarded a free kick on the edge of the box and up stepped Stewart to rifle one towards the top corner of the net but again Cairn made a brilliant one handed save.

Shortly after this he made another fine save before a defensive slip by Waddell let in Kevin Taylor and he fired in past Cairns to draw Methlick level.

The same player had a couple more good chances but couldn’t find the net.

Methlick thought they had won the tie when they scored on 90 minutes but it was ruled out for a foul.

In the first half of extra time both teams had chances but couldn’t take any of the chances created.

Grange were reduced to ten men after Mair was sent off. With only five minutes left a Donaldson shot from the edge of the box was parried out but straight to Craig Good to fire into an empty net.

Methlick pushed everyone forward and in the last seconds of the match a cross was swung in and keeper Cairns missed which left Stuart Anderson Snr to head into an empty net to put the tie into a penalty shootout.

Methlick keeper was the hero saving three penalties. The winning ones were scored by Kris Dear, Raymond Brown, Stuart Anderson Jnr and Stuart Anderson Snr.

The winning ones were scored by Kris Dear, Raymond Brown, Stuart Anderson Jnr and Stuart Anderson Snr.

This was a very entertaining game with both sides playing attacking game and both keeper’s played brilliant.


Thursday, June 21:

League - BH Rangers v Cuminestown; Ardallie v Harbour Lights.

Cuminestown Sheild quarter-final - Grange Utd v Phd Pensioners.

Friday, June 22:

Soccerworld League Cup Final - Mambos v Methlick (to be played at Cuminestown, kick-off 7pm).

Monday, June 25:

BH Rangers v Ardallie; Phd Pensioners v Grange Utd; Longside v Methlick; Harbour Lights v Cuminestown (kick-off 7pm).