Longside boys pipped by Burghead Thistle in cup

Share this article

Longside travelled to play Burghead Thistle on Saturday in the first round of the North Regional Cup.

But the Buchan side got exactly what it deserved from the match, with the hunger and desire shown by Thistle being far greater and who thoroughly deserved to win.

Indeed it was the home side who made the dream start when, in the third minute, a long ball over the Longside defence led to Kyle Stewart slotting the ball past MacDonald in the Longside goal. The visitors then created a half chance but Nicol Davidson miss hit his shot from 20 yards.

A Buchan free kick was volleyed over the bar by Danton. Longside then got the equaliser in the 25th minute when a Tait free kick was cleared off the line straight back to him and he flighted it back into the box for Nico Marchi to glance a header past the onrushing keeper. Whyte then went on a run down the right wing and found Burr in the box but his weak effort was easily saved by the keeper.

Five minutes into the second half Burr did well on the touchline before finding Daniel who’s effort was cleared off the line at the expense of a corner which came to nothing.

Another long ball over the top caused problems in the Longside defence but McBain pulled his shot wide.

Longside then took the lead on the hour mark when a long ball from Donaldson released Little who at the second attempt found Ben Danton six yards out and he fired it into the back of the net.

Danton then turned provider when he found Marchi who in turn found Little who was crowded out. The home side were level in 78 minutes when Jordan McBain scored at the second attempt after MacDonald had made a good save from his first effort. Soon after a clearing header found who’s shot rebounded off the post with MacDonald beaten.

The home side then regained the lead in 86 minutes when Andrew Stewart floated the ball to Kyle Stewart who slotted home again at his second attempt.

Two minutes later Marchi burst into the box before being brought down, the referee awarded a penalty only to change his decision after consulting his assistant who had put his flag up for offside earlier in the attack. Longside are now away on Saturday again to FC Stoneywood in the PMAC group Superleague(ko: 2pm).

Longside : MacDonald, Whyte, Buchan, Daniel, Donaldson, Tait, N,Davidson, Munro, Danton, Marchi and Burr. Subs: Panton, Little, Butcher and Mair.