League leaders take the points

Share this article

Longside travelled to play Culter on Saturday in the PMAC group Superleague.

In the opening minute McAllister raced clear from a suspiciously offside position but he blasted the ball wide. Minutes later a Greig chip shot went over the bar.

The visitors were awarded a free kick 25 yards out, but Campbell’s swerving kick was well saved by Duffy.

A Marchi free kick was tipped over the bar by Duffy. At the other end a turn and shot from McBain went straight to Pennet.

A wicked cross to the far post was headed across goal by McBain before the Longside defence scrambled the ball clear.

The visitors opened the scoring in the 25th minute when Nico Marchi scored a stunning volley from 25 yards after the ball had been half cleared.

A Pennet clearance was headed on by Duncan but Duffy was on hand to save the danger.

Leith did well to get on the end of a Robertson cross but he headed the ball well over the bar.

Walker had two shots from distance for Longside in as many minutes but both efforts were straight at the keeper. A 30-yard free kick from Wilson went over the bar.

McAllister was a lucky man when he threw the ball into the face of Campbell in front of the Referee but escaped with a yellow card.

Campbell went surging through the home defence before slipping the ball to Walker but he took a heavy touch and Duffy came out of his goal to clear.

A dangerous cross from Robertson was headed clear by Paterson.

Just after the re-start a Robertson free kick was brilliantly saved by Pennet at the expense of a corner. Sim’s kick was punched clear by Pennet.

Culter drew level in 65 minutes when they were awarded a penalty, Jamie McAllister made an expert job from the spot.

Four minutes later McAllister netted again when he turned well in the box before firing the ball high into the net.

Longside were awarded a penalty in 71 minutes, but Campbell’s kick was brilliantly saved by Duffy.

The game was now flowing from one end the other and Culter were awarded a second penalty when Paterson was adjudged to have handled the ball in the area.

This time McAllister’s kick was superbly stopped by Pennet before Leith was first to the rebound but fired it into the side netting.

Longside made two changes in the final quarter with Norris and Little replacing Marchi and Walker.

A fine cross from McAllister found McBain but he headed wide from eight yards.

Longside were worthy of at least a draw and made a real fight of this and Culter certainly knew they were in a game.

Many of the Culter players could be playing in a higher grade so a slender defeat is no disgrace.

Longside have two Superleague games this week, on Tuesday at home to Fraserburgh United (kick-off 6.45pm) and then on Saturday at home to FC Stoneywood(kick-off 2pm).

LONGSIDE: Pennet, Panton, S. Davidson, Donaldson, Paterson, Marchi, Cardno, Walker, Duncan, Campbell and A. Davidson. Subs: Little, Norris, Beddie, Whyte and Ironside.