Leaders Dyce made to fight all the way by Longside

Longside Football Club
Longside Football Club

The whole Longside team deserve immense credit for their performance pushing Dyce all the way to the end in 4-2 defeat.

The central pairing at the back of Bain and Munro caught the eye but the whole team played well.

At the end of the day its another defeat for Longside but on this display you cannot fault their effort and committment.

Longside travelled to play league leaders Dyce Juniors on Saturday in the PMAC group Superleague.

The visitors started brightly but with the wind in their favour the home side were soon on the attack and a Gordon free kick was cleared by Whyte.

Another ball into the middle from Gordon was fisted clear for a corner by Leiper, Murray’s kick was cleared for another corner which was taken by MacNamee and when Munro headed the ball clear the winger fired in a shot which went narrowly wide.

A 30 yard free kick from Murray went over the bar and at the other end Cameron got on the end of a good ball from Whyte but he also fired over the bar.

Douglas saw his 30 yard shot go inches wide of the target.

Leiper made a superb save to deny Stewart when he was through on goal and looked set to score.

Longside opened the scoring in the 35th minute when following a corner the ball was played out as far as Munro and he got it back into the danger area for CHRIS Cameron to nod home.

The lead was short lived as Dyce equalised four minutes later when a mistake in the Longside defence allowed Murray a shot at goal which Leiper did well to save but Adam MacNamee followed up to score.

Just on the stroke of half time the visitors regained the lead when Buchan did well to win the ball back before releasing Ramsay and he went on a brilliant run before finding Cameron in the middle and he controlled the ball before drilling it low past Buchanan.

The sides went in 1-2 at half time. Longside were caught cold in 52 minutes when MacNamee capitalised on some hesitancy in the visiting defence to slip the ball past Leiper.

A Murray corner gave Burke a free header but his effort went over the bar from a good position.

A Buchan free kick sent Burr clear and his shot went agonisingly wide with the keeper beaten.

The visitors were forced to make a change when Ferris replaced the injured Cameron.

Dyce took the lead in 66 minutes when Murray did well on the left before finding Steven Bartlett in the centre and he scored past Leiper.

Longside replied with a Buchan free kick which was just too high for Carr arriving at the back post.

MacNamee beat the offside trap before chipping the ball over the advancing Leiper but his shot went over the bar.

Munro headed the ball off the line as the home side looked to try and kill the game off.

Stewart headed over the bar from eight yards from a Murray cross.

A great run from Ramsay down the left saw him beat two defenders and keeper Buchanan before his cross into the middle was scrambled clear for a corner, Daniel’s kick was met by Ferris and his header went narrowly wide with the keeper beaten.

The home side scored a fourth in 85 minutes when Nicky Gordon stabbed the ball past Leiper.

Minutes later Longside had a good claim for a penalty when the ball appeared to strike Yeats inside the box but the referee waived play on.

This Saturday Longside are on the travels again away to Banchory in the PMAC Group Superleague (ko:2.00pm).

Longside: Leiper, Weir, Daniel, Bain, Munro, Carr, Buchan, Burr, Cameron, Whyte and Ramsay; Substitutes: Ferris, Thomson and MacDonald