Late second goal kills off any Longside hopes

Share this article

A LATE second goal from home side Dyce Juniors ended any Longside hopes of an equaliser on Saturday.

It was certainly not the result Longside were looking for or deserved. Dyce had the better of the first half but Longside bucked the trend in the second half, and the home side were delighted to see the second goal three minutes from the end.

The heavy rain meant the pitch was boggy and this was not a recipe for passing football. The home side were first to attack and Neish had a good chance but his shot was blocked by Campbell.

Marchi tried a shot from 25 yards but his effort went well wide. Webster charged forward for Dyce before his cross was cleared for a corner, MacNamee,s kick was cleared as far as Neish and his goalbound strike was headed off the line by Zander Davidson.

A Marchi cross was deflected for a corner, Zander Davidson’s kick was held by Burr. At the other end Neish had a great chance at the far post when he got a free header but he headed the ball wide.

Thomson made a good save minutes later as the home side pressed for the opener. Campbell almost sent Walker clear but the ball sped through to Burr.

A wicked swerving 25 yard free kick from Neish was brilliantly saved by Thomson. MacNamee sent Dick clear but his shot was saved at full stretch by Thomson. Campbell ran clear for Longside after taking a reverse pass from Walker but Burr came out of his goal to save.

A fine cross from MacNamee was headed narrowly wide by Mark Bartlet. A dangerous cross from Marchi was hurredly cleared at the back post. Dyce scored just before half time when Steven Bartlet played to quick passes before sweeping the ball past Thomson.

The same player almost added a second before the break when he chipped the ball over Thomson but his effort clipped the bar and went out for a goal kick.

Walker put Duncan clear on the right and his cross was cleared for a corner, Zander Davidson’s kick found Duncan and laid it into the path of Campbell but he fired the ball over the bar. A Murray shot at the other end was well saved by Thomson.

Duncan again went clear on the right and his cross was spilled by Burr but he saved at the second attempt. A 20 yard shot from Mark Bartlet went a yard wide with Thomson beaten. A 25 yard free kick from Neish was straight at Thomson.

A Marchi header was cleared off the line by Murray with Burr beaten. Substitute Coyle almost made a dramatic appearance when he got on the end of a Murray cross but he headed wide. A superb cross from Cardno was scrambled clear by the home defence.

Campbell was fouled 25 yards out as he made his way into the box, Marchi’s free kick was saved by Burr. Walker sent Marchi away on the left and his cross was cleared for a corner, Zander Davidson’s kick was cleared out to Walker on the edge of the box but his hurried shot went over the bar.

Duncan had a great to equalise when Campbell sent him clear but after beating the last defender he fired the ball wide as Burr narrowed the angle. Longside had a great shout for a penalty when Walker appeared to be impeded inside the box but the referee waived play on.

Neish beat the offside trap but he chipped the ball over the bar. A Campbell free kick from just outside the box was saved by Burr. Thomson made a brilliant save to deny Mark Bartlet. Campbell was fouled on the edge of the box, Marchi fired the free kick wide.

Dyce put the game out of Longside’s reach in 86 minutes when a mistake allowed Jason Coyle the chance to fire it low into the net.

Longside are away to Maud on Saturday in the Quarter Final of the McBookie McLeman cup (ko:2.00pm)

Longside: Thomson, Norris, Marchi, S.Davidson, Panton, Donaldson, Cardno, Campbell, Duncan, Walker and A.Davidson. Subs: Beddie, Whyte, N.Davidson, Weir and Butcher