Last gasp goal earns Longside a draw

Share this article

LONGSIDE kicked off the season in earnest last Tuesday with a home tie against Deveronside in the Grill League Cup.

The visitors made a cracking start by opening the scoring in the 5th minute, Longside failed to get the ball clear and Mathew Kinghorn pounced to fire the ball past Thomson.

The home side forced three corners in search of the equaliser but the Deveronside defence stood firm. Campbell had a half chance but he couldn’t get enough on his shot and the danger was cleared. Calum Davidson did well on the left before finding Black in the middle but his shot was deflected for a corner which came to nothing.

Deveronside increased their lead in 21 minutes when Thomson let a cross slip from his grasp and Scott Davidson was first to react and stab the ball into the net. An Adams cross was headed back across goal by Park for Danton and his cross was saved at full stretch by Tait.

Donaldson tried a long range effort for Longside but the keeper had it covered. The home pulled a goal back in 43 minutes when a free kick from Adams was headed on by Danton and Ryan Donaldson fired it into the net.

Longside started the second half with Whyre replacing the injured Beddie. A Whyte cross found Park but his shot was blocked before being cleared. Longside equalised in 53 minutes when Calum Davidson did well on the left and his low cross was deflected into his own goal by Legge.

Longside had another chance when a Donaldson header was cleared off the line for a corner, Adams kick was cleared upfield. The home side gave away a needless free kick on the edge of the box, King fired his kick wide.

The home side were enjoying their best spell of the game and Deveronside keeper Tait had two superb saves in quick succession, firstly he managed to divert a Campbell shot over the bar and then he tipped a goalbound effort from Whyte over the bar.

Deveronside regained the lead in 77 minutes when their was a suspision of offside when Lobban ran clear and from his pass Kevin Soppel scored easily. Longside made a double substitution when Adams and Black made way for Bruce and Ritchie.

Longside equalised again in 87 minutes when Danton flicked the ball into the path of Calum Davidson and his cross was stabbed home by Paul Campbell.

Not the ideal start for Longside against a slick Deveronside team. They never really recovered from the two goal start they gifted their opponents. The game itself had plenty goals, incidents and entertainment for the supporters.

LONGSIDE: Thomson, Beddie, Adams, Donaldson, Panton, Geddes, Park, Campbell, Danton, Black and C. Davidson. Subs: Whyte, Usher, Butcher, Bruce, Ritchie, Will, Cameron.