Invercairn lift brucklay cup

A victorious Invercairn side lift the first silverware of the season after defeating Longside.
A victorious Invercairn side lift the first silverware of the season after defeating Longside.

Invercairn won the first cup of the season with a deserved victory against a battling Longside FC in the Brucklay Cup at the weekend.

The match kicked off in perfect weather conditions and it was Longside who had the first chance when Fraser was played through but Testa came out to block.

On seven minutes Invercairn went in front from a corner when Noble reacted first to strike home.

A Donald free kick was sent into the box and was cleared to the edge of the box where a Bain spectacular volley which went close.

On 39 minutes it was 2-0 for Invercairn when a pass back was short and Lumsden lobbed Turriff from 25 yards.

On 55 mins a Sim cross was put in at the front post by Gibb for Invercairn’s third goal.

Good work by Lumsden saw him set up James Gibb to net his second and his team’s fourth.

Longside pulled a goal back from a long ball finished by Lawson. A minute later the same player hit the post.

On 80 minutes James Gibb grabbed his hatrick with a deadly finish when in on goal. With five minutes remaining Scott Bruce scored a second Longside goal with a neat finish.

Longside then pulled another back when Rendall received the ball 25 yards from goal and unleashed a tremendous drive past the helpless Testa. No more goals and Invercairn took home the first silverware of the season.

Man of the match went to Invercairn’s. George Heatherwick.The league president did the presentation on behalf of cup sponsor Mel Keenan, of Keenan Recycling, New Deer.

INVERCAIRN: Del Testa, Ritchie, Falconer, Cowie, Noble, McRobbie, Lumsden, G. Paterson, Gibb, Reid, Sim. Subs: West, G Patterson Snr, Atkinson, Tait, M PattersonLONGSIDE: Turriff, Donald, McCouaig, Urquhart, Lang, Bain, Walker, Fraser, McRae, Stuart Bruce, Wilby. Subs: Scott Bruce, Dunnett, Rendall, Scott, Lawson