Hermes pile more misery on Longside

editorial image
Share this article

LONGSIDE travelled to play Hermes on Saturday in the Superleague. The home side forced two corners in quick succession and from the second from Hamilton, Thomson made a good save.

Cowie tried to put Geddes clear but he couldn’t control the ball on the run and the chance was lost. Djahansouzi put Gairns clear but Thomson saved his shot at full stretch. Hermes took the lead in 25th minute when Craik fouled Djahansouzi in the penalty box, Matthew Gairns made no mistake from the spot.

The home side went two up in 33 minutes when a long ball was missed by the Longside defence and Craig Macklin nipped in to slot the ball past Thomson. Davidson played the ball inside for Geddes but his 25-yard strike went well wide.

Longside had another chance when Cowie put Whyte clear but his shot was off target. In the 44th minute a Davidson shot from the edge of the box dipped narrowly over the bar. Just on time Watson ran clear for Hermes but his shot was well off target.

Hermes scored a third in 49 minutes when Scott Freeland was unmarked in the box to stab home a Hamilton corner. Djahansouzi had a great chance to further increase the lead but he headed the ball wide from a good position.

Longside made a change in 62 minutes when Campbell replaced Porter. Two minutes later they pulled a goal back when Black picked the ball up from Whyte and crossed into the box for Scott Geddes to dispatch into the back of the net.

A 25-yard free kick from Gairns struck the post before being cleared. Longside made a second change when Usher replaced the injured Davidson. McKinstry tried a shot from just inside the box but his effort went over the bar. Cowie put Campbell clear but his shot was deflected for a corner which came to nothing.

At the other end Usher put Campbell clear but his shot was brilliantly saved by Irvine. Black had a great chance for Longside when a Taylor free kick was headed into his path but his shot was saved by Irvine at the expense of a corner, Whyte’s kick was saved by Irvine at the second attempt.

This was another bad day at the office for Longside with poor defending again one of the main reasons. Games are running out for Longside and they are now firmly rooted to bottom place.

This Saturday Longside are at home to Banks O’Dee in the Superleague with a 2.30pm kick-off.

LONGSIDE: Thomson, Black, Bruce, Taylor, Craik, Wood,Whyte, Geddes, Porter, Cowie and Davidson. Subs: Campbell, Reid, Usher, Beddie, Ross,

Panton, Stainton.