Hearties progress in Morrison Cup after close contest

Close Up Of Children's Feet In Soccer Match
Close Up Of Children's Feet In Soccer Match

Longside had Buchanhaven Hearts as visitors on Saturday in the final group stage game of the Morrison Cup.

The visitors were first to threaten goal when a Ritchie free kick was met by Ligertwood but he was adjudged to have fouled in the box.

At the other end Longside had a great chance when a Mackie cross was headed on by West for Fraser Davidson but his effort went narrowly wide.

The visitors almost caught Longside out on the counter attack when they raced clear and Park got to the ball before keeper Cowe but he dragged his shot wide. A Ballard pass looked to be heading for Park at the far post but Longside’s McIntosh made a superb headed clearance.

Fraser Davidson went clear for Longside before finding West in the middle but the forward couldn’t get a clean enough hit and Gatt saved easily. West again had a great opportunity with 40 minutes gone when a poor clearance landed kindly for him but he couldn’t find the target.

Buchanhaven opened the scoring in the 45th minute when they were awarded a free kick outside the box. The home defence failed to clear the danger and Dane Ballard was on hand to stab the ball home with the Longside players looking in vain for the offside flag to go up.

The visitors had the ball in the net again minutes into the second half but the referee’s assistant had his flag up. Cowe made a superb save to deny Ballard at the expense of a corner which came to nothing.

Longside were reduced to ten men when Glendinning picked up his second yellow card. With 56 minutes gone Findlay replaced Taylor for Longside. Soon after both teams made changes when McDonald was replaced by Cross for the Hearts and Marshall came on for West for Longside.

Ryan Duncan went clear for the Hearts but his cross come shot flashed across goal before going out for a goal kick. Fraser Davidson raced clear for the home side but Gatt made a fine save tipping it round the post, Mackie’s corner found Findlay and he headed the ball goalward before it was scrambled clear.

The home side drew level in 74 minutes when Fraser Davidson sent over a terrific cross for Ross Mackie arriving at the back post to fire into the net.

Hearts regained the lead in the 80th minute when the home defence didn’t manage to get the ball clear and Lewis Sime fired the ball home from ten yards.

Longside’s interest in the Morrison Cup comes on an end.

Buchanhaven scored the vital goals that mattered but the sending off made the Longside task more difficult but to their credit they kept going forward. A point would have been enough to see Longside progress and they might have got that but for a couple of superb saves from Hearts keeper Gatt near the end.

This Saturday both teams are away in the McBookie.com First Division East, Longside have Aberdeen University and Buchanhaven are at Sunnybank (kick-off 2pm).