Heartbreak for Longside

editorial image
Share this article

Longside had reigning champions Hermes as visitors on Saturday in the PMAC group Superleague.

The visitors were first to attack and Thomson made a brilliant save to turn a Wilson shot round the post for a corner. From the resultant kick the keeper couldn’t get enough power on his punched clearance and Josh Winton slammed home the loose ball.

Longside gave away another needless corner in 18 minutes. Hamilton’s kick was met by Winton who again headed home from close range.

A mistake from Norris let Robertson in and he rounded Thomson before the Longside keeper made a brilliant save.

Longside pulled a goal back in 33 minutes when a Whyte corner to the far post found Ross Walker and he headed the ball into the net.

A fine cross from Smith for Hermes was cleared by Zander Davidson with McRae waiting to pounce. A high ball was touched into the path of Cardno by Marchi and his angled drive went inches wide. A Zander Davidson free kick was met by Marchi but his header went wide with Sweeney scrambling across his goal.

Just on half time a mistake by Thomson was almost costly but the keeper made amends before putting Campbell clear and he played the ball into the middle for Ross Cardno to equalise from 12 yards.

The visitors had a shout for a penalty waived aside when Wyness fell in the box and play swept to the other end and they also had a penalty claim when Campbell was sent sprawling inside the area but the referee waived play on and Nico Marchi took full advantage to stroke the ball into the net.

Hermes levelled the match a minute later when again slack marking allowed Keith Robertson to slip the ball past the advancing Thomson.

A superb corner from Zander Davidson had Sweeney beaten but Steven Davidson and Walker got in each others way and the chance was gone.

Minutes later Campbell showed great skill weaving in from the right before pulling the ball back for Walker but he fired his shot over the bar from 12 yards.

The home side took the lead again in 69 minutes when Steven Davidson rose to head home a corner from his namesake Zander.

Six minutes later the scores were even again when Richard Wyness collected a pass inside the box before tucking the ball into the corner of the net.

The visitors were reduced to ten men in the 80th minute when Freeland was shown his second yellow card for a foul on Campbell on the edge of the box, Marchi fired the free kick wide.

Longside made a change in the 84th minute when Duncan replaced Zander Davidson. Hermes scored the winner a minute later when Lee Smith headed a Hamilton free kick past a helpless Thomson.

Another disappointing result for Longside but a performance that had the champions on the ropes at times and unlucky not to get anything from the game. Longside are at home to Deveronside on Saturday in the first round of the McLenan Cup, kick-off 1.45pm.

LONGSIDE: Thomson, Whyte, Beddie, Donaldson, Norris, S. Davidson,Walker, Cardno, Campbell, Marchi, A.Davidson.Subs: Duncan, Porter, Heatherwick, Little, N. Davidson.