Hale and Barbour save Maud’s blushes

Share this article

Kicking-off in a replay of last year’s final, Inverness were the first to settle.

Taking the game to Maud they surged forward playing good passing football. Fortunatley after weathering the storm Maud were awarded a free kick out on the left side.

Up stepped Hale and duly buried the ball into the back of the net for Maud to take the lead.

Three minutes later another free kick , this time from Hall, was rattled off the bar by Ross and cleared off the line by City’s defence.

Again a good ball in by Hall Left Hale with a chance but it was well saved by the keeper.

In the 24th minute good interlinking play between Hale and Morrice finished with Duguid’s shot going wide.

A good mazy run by Rae in midfield passed onto Hale then back to Rae whose final delivery was blocked and cleared upfield.

Not to be outdone Sanderson of Inverness was controlling their midfield brilliantly and his persistance finally paid off in 30 minutes when he scored the deserved equaliser.

Inverness broke the deadlock in the 38th minute when some slack defending by Maud allowed City to take the lead off an Alan Fraser shot deflected in by Simpson.

Going in 1-2 down at the break strong words were needed in the dressing room to revitalise Maud for the second half.

Within a couple of minutes from the restart Maud showed their intention when Hale slipped the ball through to Gray who again was denied by the keeper.

A couple of missed chances for Maud ended with Morrice being taken down inside the box. A penalty was awarded and up stepped Hale who made no mistake from the spot to bring back Maud to level tems in the 55th minute.

Ten minutes later the referee balanced his mistakes when Inverness were awarded a soft penalty which was duly converted by Sanderson to put Inverness back in the driving seat.

In the 83rd minute good pressure by Maud forced a corner from the left, crossed in by Hall.

The in-swinging ball was met cleanly by the unmarked Alexander whose rifled header went straight in leaving the keeper rooted to the spot.

As the final whistle came closer Maud upped the tempo and missed a few chances in th dying stages of the game.

Full time came and the dreaded penalty shootout was to commence.

Up stepped Hale who converted along with S. Bremner followed by Duguid, with Joe Barbour heoically saving Inverness City’s first two penalties followed by a conversion then their fourth penalty was hit off the crossbar which meant Maud progressed into the semi-final away against Dyce on September 22.

This was a poor lacklustre performance from Maud so hopefully this week’s game away to Stonehaven with a 2pm kick-off will show some marked improvement.

MAUD: Barbour, Gray, Ross, Simpson, Hall, Robertson, Rae, Murray, Morrice, Hale, Duguid. Subs: Bain, Alexander, Ritchie,

A. Bremner, S. Bremner