Grange take honours against Longside

editorial image
Share this article

IN THE Buchan Welfare Football League, Cuminestown faced Longside Thistle for the second time in four days but the home side turned the tide this time running out winners by 4-2.

The home scorers were John Jamieson, Shaun Mitchell, Adam Clarke and Daryn Bruce and replying for the away side were Wayne Buchan and Neil Buchan.

Buchanhaven Rangers played hosts to Peterhead Pensioners and this was expected to be a close affair and was proved right after the away side won by the odd goal in five.

The winning goals were scored by James Cruise with a double and the other from Graeme Arthur and for the home side was Wayne Parsons and Adam kendall.

Harbour Lights entertained Grange United and the home side took the lead on 16 minutes when keeper Alexander launched a long ball forward and Rhynd headed on and James Ritchie latched onto the ball and lobbed the out-coming keeper to score.

Grange hit back within a minute when an AJ Buchan shot crept in past Alexander.

It stayed this way until the hour mark where the away side took the lead with a goal from Brent Holtby Wall then Grange increased their lead when Ryan Webster netted from a shot from outside the box.

The home side did pull one back through Michael Rhynd. Grange had most of the game but couldn’t convert any more chances.

Methlick faced Ardallie who have put together a run of decent results and it was the away side that went on to collect all three points when they ran out winners by the odd goal in five.

The winning goals came from Grant Elrick, David Clarke and an own goal and replying for the home side were Kevin Taylor and Ben Watt.

Harbour Lights entertained Cuminestown in a league game and it ended all square with both teams netting two goals each.

Damie Duncan and Scott Good scoring for the home side and a brace from David Stephen for the away side Cuminestown.

Mambos faced Methlick for a place in the semi-final and it was the away side that took the lead on 15 minutes when a free kick was fired in by Ligertwood and mambos keeper tipped over the bar and from the resulting corner the ball was poked home by Marc Lidgerwood.

It took the home side five minutes to level the score after they were awarded a penalty.

David Gourley struck the pen and keeper Burnett got a hand to the ball but couldn’t prevent the ball hitting the net.

Mambos came close on 75 minutes when a shot hit the bar and came down on the line and cleared.

On 80 minutes the home side took the lead after a scramble in the box Bruce Coull stabbed the ball home to put Mambos into the Semi Final.

In the Strachan Pharmacy Shield final Longside had the first chance when R. McSeveney swung a dangerous cross in but Milne defended well to clear.

Grange took the lead on nine minutes when Walker did some great work on the right and his cross was met by AJ Buchan to fire home the opening goal.

Walker, again on the right, picked out Watson at the back post, but his header went high over the bar.

At the other end Fraser was played in on goal and his shot was heading for the corner of the net until Campbell made a brilliant save.

A mistake by Geddes let in Holtby Wall but he couldn’t keep his shot on target. Grange doubled their lead after an AJ Buchan shot was saved, it rebounded out and he was the first player to react to poke the ball home.

Longside fought back and pulled a goal back before the interval after Buchan took a quick free kick while the Grange defence was waiting for a cross, he played in down the side of the wall and David Fraser latched on to and fired in at the near post.

Two minutes into the second half, Longside were awarded a penalty which Wayne Buchan dispatched to square the match at 2-2.

Fraser had the chance to put Longside ahead when he was played in on the right, but he shot straight at Campbell.

A long throw-in for Grange landed at the feet of Good but he shot wide of the goals. Ironside came close when he had shots from the right side of the box go narrowly wide of the post.

Campbell did well to push an Ironside shot over the bar after the striker had hit a terrific drive from the edge of the box.

In the first period of extra time Grange took the lead on 97 minutes when a James Donaldson cross found Webster who made no mistake with his finish.

In the second period Grange increased their lead after Walker did well on the right and he picked out Craig Good to fire home.

Longside did pull one goal back through Ironside but time ran out and Grange celebrate with their first trophy win.

Fixtures for Thursday, August 2:

Ardallie Cup quarter-finals - Ardallie v Buchanhaven Rangers; Cuminestown v Longside Thistle, Phd Pensioners v Grange Unite; (ko 7pm).

Monday, August 6:

League - Mambos v Ardallie; Cuminestown v Harbour Lights; Methlick v Longside Th; Grange United v Phd Pensioners (ko 7pm).