Football round-up: Hearties and Bay

Share this article

A look at a mixed weekend for Buchan teams.

Cruden Bay visited Bridge of Don Thistle in a vital PMAC Division One (East) game on Saturday.

For the majority of the first half there was very little in the way of scoring chances for either side as both sides battled hard to gain the upper hand.

The Bay were dealt a cruel blow when, with 40 minutes gone, Beddie was stretchered off with a broken leg.

Glendinning came on as substitute and with his first touch floated a free kick from the touchline just inside the Bridge of Don half, which completely deceived keeper Burr in the home goal and went into the net.

The Bay were spurred on by this and within two minutes were further ahead.

Tocher did well on the right beating a couple of defenders and then fired in a shot from just inside the box which went into the far corner of the net.

The bay suffered an early setback within two minutes of the re-start, when Dunne fired a shot from inside the box which beat keeper Cooke and went into the net.

However the Bay fought Back and increased their lead again after 69 minutes, when the ball broke to Stainton following a Bay move on the left.

The Bay midfielder fired a shot from just outside the box and which went into the net via a deflection of a Thistle defender.

CRUDEN BAY: Cooke, Ross, Beddie, Arthur, Sime, Stainton, Patterson, Norris, Tocher, Cardno. Subs: Glendinning, Findlay, Gibb, Whyte, Duncan

Buchanhaven Hearts travelled to Findon at the weekend to take on Parkvale in their penultimate league match of the season.

It was a depleted squad which took to the field for Buchanhaven Hearts, due to offshore and other commitments, and they should have scored in the first minute when a Cross shot was saved by Gibson.

Duthie then shot wide from a good position.

Hearts were pushing hard and had a header from Clark saved by Gibson, while Davidson shot the rebound over the bar.

The visitors should have had a penalty awarded when Davidson was brought down by Gibson, but somehow the referee waved played on.

Hearts eventually went ahead when Alex Davidson coolly chipped Gibson from inside the box to put them 1-0 up, which they deserved after all their hard graft.

Parkvale tried to get back into the game but the Hearts defence stood firm and goalkeeper Gatt held everything that came to him.

Parkvale had the breeze behind them in the second period and Barron had a chance early on but he shot past from a good position.

Hearts won a free kick outside the box which Ritchie took, but his effort was well saved by Gibson.

Parkvale’s pressure paid off when they eventually equalised after Hearts gave the bal away.

Scott picked up the ball and shot past Gatt from 18 yards out to make it 1-1.

The game was now flowing from end-to-end but both defences were giving nothing away.

Hearts kept up the pressure at the end but couldn’t find a way through to goal.

Hearts should have won, especially early on with chances going a-begging, but had to settle for a point.

Hearts’ next game is the Morrison Cup semi-final at home to Lewis United with a 2pm kick-off.

HEARTS: Gatt, Jamie Clark, Jordan Clark, Keith, McNeil, Mair, Cross, Ritchie, Davidson, Duthie, Brown. Subs: Park, Donaldson, Clunes, Cunningham, Duncan.