Football: Maud rue missed chances in 3-3 draw

Share this article

FC Stoneywood 3

Maud 3

This was a game which Maud had under control until a penalty was awarded then the home side took their chances well.

Maud dug in and fought back to earn a draw but the away side must rue all their missed chances which denied them all 3 points.

The visitors created a couple of chances early in the game with Fraser having a shot which went straight at Goodbrand and a Duguid shot went close to opening the scoring.

The home side reacted well with a great ball across the box by Campbell but Skinner miss hit his shot wide of the goal.

A long ball forward by Bain found Simpson on the right and he cut in and fired a shot narrowly past the post.

Duguid hit a freekick round the wall but Goodbrand was well placed to save.

A through ball by Simpson left Fraser one on one with Goodbrand and his lob went over the keeper but also over the bar.

Maud’s pressure finally paid off on 26 minutes when Duguid picked the ball up 25 yards from goal and hit a terrific shot which found the top corner of the net.

Hale was next to curl in a shot just past the post with Goodbrand beaten.

A break up field by the home side and Simpson got past Hall but his shot was easily saved by Barbour.

A brilliant cross-field pass by Hale left Bremner with just the keeper to beat and his lob went over the keeper but Anderson got back to clear.

A quick freekick by Hale to Fraser who played in Hale and his fierce shot was tipped over by Goodbrand.

The score was 1-0 to the visitors at the break.

Maud made the perfect start to the second half, doubling their lead after Fraser laid the ball off to Ritchie whose 25 yard shot rifled into the top corner of the net.

Fraser again was involved when his neat flick left Bremner a great chance to extend their lead but he fired wide from close.

Fraser then went on a mazy run on the left beating three players before Goodbrand came out to block his shot.

On 55 minutes the injured Fraser was replaced by Alexander.

A minute later the home side were awarded a penalty when it looked like Graham had won the ball.

Campbell made no mistake sending the keeper the wrong way.

Bremner should have given the away side their two goal lead again but he fired straight at Goodbrand.

On 70 minutes the home side drew level after Stainer crossed for Skinner to score.

Barbour then made a great one handed save to prevent the home side going ahead.

Rae played in Duguid but once more Goodbrand came out to save. On 72 minutes Stevenson was played in on goal and he slotted the ball under the on-rushing Barbour to give the home side the lead.

Seven mins later it was all square again when Hale calmly picked his spot firing home from 12 yards.

Duguid was played in by Hale and he fired home only for the goal to be ruled offside.

Minutes later Michael Rae from Maud and then shortly after Jamie Cromer from Stoneywood were both sent off.

The game finished even at 3-3.

Maud’s next fixtures is away in the PMAC Superleague against Banchory St Ternan on Sat 11 Jan with a 1.30pm ko

Scorers - James Duguid, Craig Ritchie, Alan Hale;

Maud - J Barbour, Graham, Hall, S Robertson, Simpson, Rae, Fraser, Duguid, Ritchie, Hale, A Bremner;

Subs - Alexander, Bain, Chalmers, S Bremner, J Robertson.