Football: Maud on way up after third straight win

Share this article

This was a match which both teams were intent in playing good football but especially in the second half Maud were far the superior team and could have went on to score a lot more goals.

This was another fine performance by the home team who played some great passing football notching up their third win a row.

For the first five minutes both teams looked like they both wanted to get the ball down and play and after two corners for the visitors were easily cleared, the home team took the lead when a Barbour cross from the right was met by S Bremner and he made no mistake with the finish.

A minute later it was all square when Scott Napier scored for the away side.

Maud regained the lead on 15 minutes when a great ball by Hall was latched on to by Duguid who held off his marker and round the keeper to score.

J Robertson came close to scoring after he turned his marker and fire in a left foot shot which went narrowly wide of the goals.

Barbour and S Bremner combined and Buchan in the away goals needed to get down low to his left to save.

The visitors came close to levelling the score but Davidson’s shot hit the post and it rebound to Henderson who fire high over the bar.

The home side had a great chance to increase their lead when Duguid was set clear on goal but Buchan came out to block the shot.

Maud started the second half on the front foot and Rae played S Bremner down the right and he played a ball to the edge of the box where Graham hit a fierce shot which Buchan tipped over the bar for a corner which Alexander took and it was met by J Robertson but he couldn’t keep his header on target.

Another attach from the home side ended with a Barbour shot coming back of the post then rebounded back off Reid and away.

Hall played a ball into the feet of Duguid who managed to get his shot away which Buchan could only parry the ball out which landed to Alexander whose shot was deflected for a corner. Alexander curled the ball in and J Robertson’s header was cleared off the line by Reid.

Maud’s pressure finally told on 66 minutes when Hall played a great ball over the Banchory defence which S Bremner controlled and lashed home.

Rae was then replaced by Ritchie for the home side. On 74 mins Maud increased their lead with a brilliant goal when Duguid played the ball out to Alexander who sent in a perfect cross which Barbour met and his header flashed past Buchan.

Maud then made a double change with Hale and A Bremner replacing Duguid and Alexander.

In a rare attack for the visitors McGregor sent in a dangerous cross but Barbour was able to punch clear under pressure.

The same player made a run down the left cut in and beat the defender but J Robertson made a timely tackle.

Hale had a chance to increase the home side’s lead after he was played through on goal but Buchan did well to come of his line to save.

In injury time the away side got a second goal when Barbour didn’t get enough on the ball Henderson poked the ball over the line.

Maud’s next game is in the PMAC Superleague away v Hall Russell on Sat 7 Nov 1.30pm ko

Maud: J Barbour, Graham, Hall, S Robertson, J Robertson, Rae, S Bremner, Duguid, Chalmers, L Barbour, Alexander

Unused: Bain, Ritchie, A Bremner, Bruce, Hale

Referee: George Robertson