Football: Longside are no match for rampant Maud

Longside travelled to play Maud on Saturday in the PMAC group Superleague.

By The Newsroom
Tuesday, 19th November 2013, 9:27 am

Longside started the game well but the two quick goals before half time killed them off.

Once Maud got into their stride there was no stopping them, they were clinical in front of goal and they fully deserved the victory.

A dangerous ball from Buchan was saved by Townsend at the second attempt.

The home side had a great chance when Hodge went clear but MacDonald made a fine save at the expense of a corner which came to nothing.

Danton was sent clear by Little but his dipping shot went just over the bar.

Barbour went close for Maud before they took the lead in the 18 minutes, the Longside defence failed to get the ball clear and James Chalmers arrived in the box to shoot home.

Danton earned a corner for the visitors, Little’s kick was good but Maud managed to get the ball clear.

Danton and Duncan had good interplay just outside the box before the latter was brought down, Walker’s kick was well held by Townsend.

Barbour weaved his way into the Longside box before testing MacDonald with a shot.

The home side went two up in 38 minutes when Alexander sent Barbour clear and his cross was driven home by Stuart Hodge.

Longside hadn’t recovered from this when Maud scored a third when Chalmers played the ball to the lively Luke Barbour and he clipped it past MacDonald.

On the stroke of half time Butcher rattled the bar with a volley after Danton had headed the ball on.

The half time score was 3-0.

Longside started the second period with Daniel replacing the injured Buchan.

In the first minute of the restart Maud forced a corner and from the resultant kick Simpson headed wide from a good position.

A Donaldson free kick was headed clear for a corner, Tait’s kick was scrambled clear.

Maud scored number four in 51 minutes when Barbour fed the ball through to Sean Bremner and he poked it past the advancing keeper.

Minutes later MacDonald made a brilliant save to deny Hodge.

Longside made another enforced change when Butcher went off to be replaced by Munro.

Alexander did well on the left before crossing for Stuart Hodge to head home.

MacDonald tried to get cute clearing the ball and it went straight to Sean Bremner but the keeper recovered to save.

Duncan had a half chance to pull a goal back for Longside but he drilled his shot wide.

Walker was fouled just outside the box, he got up but fired the free kick over the bar.

The home side completed the scoring in 83 minutes when again Longside failed to get the ball clear and James Chalmers was on hand to score from close range.

This Saturday Longside are at home to Dyce Juniors in the PMAC Group Superleague (ko:1.30pm)

Longside: MacDonald, Whyte, Buchan, Donaldson, Cameron, Little, Tait, Walker, Danton, Butcher and Duncan.

Subs: Daniel, Leiper, Weir, Munro and Wallace.

Referee : F.Wallace