Football: Champions Culter too strong for Longside

Longside slumped to a 4-0 defeat to a very strong Culter side who showed they will not be giving up their title easily.

That said Longside will again be dissapointed with their lack of fire power in front of goal as they did create chances but they are still not scoring enough.

The visitors were first to threaten when they won a corner, McBain’s kick was headed clear by Buchan.

Minutes later McAllister got in behind the Longside defence but his shot was cleared for another corner and Rintoul’s kick was cleared upfield.

Culter took the lead in the 9th minute when George McBain ran onto a pass from McAllister before firing past Thomson from ten yards.

Longside replied with a shot from Duncan which was blocked before he found Wallace and he sent over a cross which was just too far ahead of Cameron.With 21 minutes gone Ramsay had a good run down the left before crossing for Duncan but he dragged his shot wide.

The home side were enjoying a good spell forcing two corners in quick succession but couldn’t find away past the Culter defence.

At the other end a McAllister header came crashing off the bar before the danger was cleared.

The visitors doubled their advantage in 28 minutes when following a McBain corner the ball appeared to be handled by Leith but Martin Crisp blasted the ball into the net.

Youngson skipped his way into the Longside defence before chipping the ball over Thomson but his effort hit the bar before being falling for McBain and his shot was brilliantly saved by Thomson.

A Davidson free kick found Cameron in a great position but he couldn’t get his head to it.

The score was 2-0 at the break.

Culter were awarded a penalty in 49 minutes when the referee adjudged McAllister to have been fouled by Donaldson, Allan Youngson made no mistake from the spot.

Minutes later Youngson should have scored again when Rintoul picked him out but he sent his free header wide.

Thomson then produced a brilliant save to deny McAllister after the striker was sent clear. Cameron did well on the right before firing across goal. Wallace tried a shot which Pennet saved Burr followed up but couldn’t find the target. Burr was replaced by Tait in 61 minutes.

Culter’s Michael Taylor tapped the ball into the net after Greig had played the ball across goal.

Cameron did well to dispossess Crisp but his shot from 20 yards went wide.

Duncan did well for Longside before crossing for Ramsay arriving at the back post but his shot came back off the post.

Longside made a double change in 79 minutes when Duncan and Ramsay were replaced by Butcher and Weir.

Tait ran clear for Longside but Reid got back to clear at the expense of a corner with the home side looking for a penalty.

McAllister saw his shot strike hit the bar again before Donaldson got it clear.

This Saturday Longside travel to Aberdeen to play Banks O’Dee in the PMAC Group Superleague (ko:1.30pm).

Longside - Thomson, Whyte, Daniel, Buchan, Donaldson, Burr, N.Davidson, Duncan, Cameron, Wallace and Duncan.

Subs - Tait, Weir, Butcher, Panton.

Referee - G.Jack.