Football: Another disappointing display from Hearts

Share this article

junior football

Buchanhaven Hearts went to Fraserburgh to take on the local United in a Division 1 East game.

United kicked off with a stiff breeze behind them. They had an effort from Ritchie well saved by Fuerst.

Hearts were finding it hard to create chances and United were picked up loose balls everywhere and took the lead when Lawrence beat Clark and his cross was saved by Fuerst.

However, Ritchie reacted first to knock the ball home from six yards out.

Hearts tried to get going but nothing was coming off and United doubled their lead when Bruce was caught and by clearing he sent the ball straight to Bisset whose cross wasn’t properly cleared and Forbes hit a grat shot past Fuerst from outside the box.

Hearts gradually forced their way back into the game and were awarded a penalty when Bain was brought down and he dispatched the penalty past Barbour to make it 2-1.

As half-time approached Hearts should have made it 2-2 when a Clark cross was met by Park at the back post but he shot over from a great position.

Hearts now had the wind behind them in the second half but they still found it hard to break down the United defence.

However, they shot themselves in the foot when trying to play too much football. A back-pass was cleared by Fuerst but it hit Lawrence and went into the net to make it 3-1.

Hearts hit back when Bain was put through on goal and goalkeeper Barbour pulled him down. As the last man the goalkeeper should have been sent off, but the referee opted to give a yellow card.

James Bain scored with the resultant penalty to make it 3-2.

Again, Hearts gave a goal away when a free kick was headed home by West to keep United 4-2 ahead.

Then another free-kick by Noble hit the bar and Bisset reacted to head home with the Hearts’ defence static to make it 5-2.

Hearts had a few chances to score, but Davidson missed and then a Ligertwood shot was saved by Barbour.

Again, poor defending let in Lawrence to score his second. Then frustration saw Alex Davidson sent off for dissent disputing the referee’s decision. The game, in the end, was well won by United.

It was another poor performance from Hearts who were beated by a determined side who fought for every ball.

No breaks are coming for Hearts and they will have to dig themselves out of a rut with more determination and effort and stop defending which is costing them games.

Their next game is at home to Lewis United on Saturday with a 1.30pm kick-off.

HEARTS: Fuerst, Keith, Clark, Duncan, Bruce, Park, M. Duncan, Mair, Ligertwood, Davidson, Robinson. Subs: Jamie Clark, Watson, McNeil, Bain, Thomson.