Five-star performance from Maud boys

Share this article

with a strong side wind which would make the game especially difficult, Maud showed their intent early on when Craig Ritchie put Greg Alexander away on the left and his run and cross was met by Luke Barbour who’s glancing header was only just wide of the goal.

Maud upped the tempo again after nine minutes when Jonathan Garden ran the ball across the face of the Bishopmill penalty area before laying it off to Allan Hale and although his shot was hard and low it was just wide of the mark.

Immediately after Alexander and Shaun Robertson worked a great 1-2 into the penalty area and then laid it across to Hale at the far post but his shot was saved this time by Cameron in the Bishopmill goal for a corner, which was taken quickly and again Hale had another shot saved before finally the ball was cleared.

This passage of play was a prelude to Maud’s first goal when Alexander took another corner, this time it fell right into the area where Kevin Simpson was on hand to poke the ball home.

On 24 minutes Maud almost increased their lead when a Frazer Hall cross from deep fell 10 yards out to Garden who’s first time volley was saved by the outstretched boot of Cameron who knew nothing about it.

Four minutes later Hale took a quick throw on the left to Luke Barbour on the edge of the area, he laid it into the danger area where Garden met it but his low shot was inches wide of goal. Maud were now piling on the pressure and the defence finally cracked on 35 minutes when L.Barbour was again instrumental in getting the ball to Garden who scored Mauds 2nd of the afternoon.

Maud were still vulnerable to long high balls, something that has been a source of annoyance to the management in recent weeks and a minute from the half time whistle they nearly conceded when a high ball caught the defence out and only a fine save from Joe Barbour kept the scoreline the same at half time.

After 53 minutes Maud’s Hale got into the Bishopmill area and pulled the ball back to Mike Rae who’s shot was blocked for a corner that came to nothing.

Maud’s inability to convert chances was made even more costly after 56 minutes when Bishopmill won a corner which was crossed in and easily converted by Mylchrist to reduce the arrears.

The Buchan side almost responded straight away when another Alexander corner was met by Simpson with a powerful header but the ball went over the bar.

On the hour mark, however, Maud’s pressure did finally pay off when Rae fed Hale on the right and his cross was met well by Alexander with a low header to restore Maud’s 2 goal advantage, it was a goal the Alexander richly deserved with his performance to far.

On 73 minutes Hale and Alexander combined again for the latter to score his second goal of the afternoon. With ten minutes to go, second half sub Andi Bremner did well to pass the ball through to another sub, Scott Lynch in the area to slot the ball past Cameron for Maud’s fifth goal.

With seven minutes to go Maud showed their frailty at the back when Mellis did well to run with the ball down the right and into the Maud area before hitting a curling shot across J.Barbour for Bishopmills final consolation goal.

So Maud progress through to the next round of the North Regional Cub but although they dominated the game they need to improve further if they are going to progress in this seasons League and Cup competitions.

Maud are back on League duty next week away to Lewis United with a 2.00pm kick off.

Maud: J. Barbour, Robertson, Simpson, Hall, Stott, Ritchie, Rae, Alexander, Garden, Hale, L.Barbour Subs Duhuid, Reid, A.Bremner, S.Bremner, Lynch