Fifers make it three defeats in a week for Toon


Peterhead’s defensive woes continued as they conceded their twelfth goal in a week without reply.

Two unchallenged headers from virtually the same corner kick routine before the break made their task an uphill one and the loss of another from a dead ball situation for the third time made it an afternoon to forget.

The lack of any real threat at the other end will also be a major concern as the Blue Toon attempt to get their league season off and running.

The visitors looked impressive from the kick off and took the lead after five minutes.

A Mark Lamont corner from the left went to the back post on the 6 yard line and to the complete unmarked Jason Kerr who leaped unchallenged to bullet a header firmly into the back of the net.

The home side looked like they were about to equalise on the quarter hour when Jamie Redman powered a header goalward from a Steven Noble corner on the right but the ball was valiantly cleared off the line and away.

Three minutes later Kevin Smith went on a surging run down the left but his shot cum cross after cutting into the area went beyond the far post.

Another Lamont corner caused danger and it was Kerr once again who reached the ball first with his head but this time his effort went wide.

A minute into first half added time the visitors doubled their lead with a replica of their opener. Another Lamont corner from the left and another badly defended header, this time from Kevin Smith.

There was a glimmer of a chance for the Blue Toon early in the second half, Fifers keeper Willie Muir sprinting out of his area and distracting Leighton McIntosh enough for him to shoot wide.

On the hour East Fife could have scored again, Graeme Smith saving a Kyle Wilkie 20 yard we but from the resulting corner there was another completely free header, this one from Paul McManus.

But after 66 minutes it was 3-0. A free kick on the left by the corner flag was driven low and hard through a ruck of players by Mark Lamont and into the net for another shocker of a goal to concede.

Manager Jim McInally “ Up to half time we were ok, then the second goal from a set piece made it difficult to raise the players spirits after the break.

“We were in control of the game for spells but we never worked their keeper enough and it was all huffing and puffing.

“We had a chat about the three goals from set pieces at the end and the players need to pick up and do their jobs and East Fife showed a desire to defend that we didn’t. We need to work hard. Their body language after the third goal was poor.

“The defeat is hard to take and you just think it can’t keep on happening but it makes the game hard and deflates the players but we need to dust ourselves down and look forward to Tuesday’s game with Brora.

“There will be some changes butoverall it’s a good thing we have a chance to bounce back quickly. I feel sorry for the supporters who aren’t used to seeing that kind of defeat at home and we will do our best to make sure it doesn’t happen again.”