Fans enjoy cup semi-final cracker

Share this article

VTHIS game between New Pitsligo and Clinton Thistle was played at Kessock Park and it turned out to be a cracker.

Clinton had the advantage of a strong wind in the first half.

The first chance came from Simon Whyte but his shot was straight at Simpson in the home goal. Whyte was causing Pitsligo a few problems in the first half and after he had played a 1-2 with McDonnell and was brought down by R. Christie.

From the resulting free kick Willie Noble’s shot rebounded off the Pitsligo wall he volleyed right into the top corner of the net to put Clinton one up.

Shortly after Simon Whyte made it 2-0 after his shot was curled in to the bottom corner of the net.

Again Simon Whyte was played in on the right but when his cross came in there were no takers. At the other end a Whyte corner was headed goalwards by N. Christie but Gauld headed clear.

Whyte then made it 3-0 to Clinton after his shot was deflected past the helpless Simpson. Neil Christie came close to pulling back one goal but his shot went just past the post.

Clinton had a big shout for a penalty when Whyte looked to be fouled in the box but the referee waved play on. James Fraser should have pulled one back when a free kick was floated to the back post where Ryan Christie headed back across goal and Fraser hit the bar and over from inside the six-yard box.

A minute later Neil Christie got Pitsligo back into the game after a Whyte cross found Stephen who played across to Christie for a simple finish.

Slater went down the right and his cross found MacDonnell at the back post but he blasted high over the Pitsligo bar. Daniel Smith then saw his cross scrape the top the bar and out for a goal kick.

New Pitsligo started the second half pushing Ryan Christie into midfield and it changed the course of the game. Right back Harley was unlucky as he tried his luck with a long range shot but it came back off the bar and out for a Pitsligo corner which was easily cleared.

Simon Whyte curled a free kick round the defensive wall but it went just wide of the post.

Clinton earned a penalty after Harley was adjudged to have pulled back the Clinton forward. Stuart Fowlie blasted the ball past Simpson to make it 4-1.

The fightback began when Pitsligo earned a free kick 30 yards out which R. Christie curled towards the top corner but Maitland managed to push over the bar for a corner which was swung in and Ryan Christie rose above all to head home to get back to 2-4.

N. Christie then hit the post and Reekie managed to put wide of the goal. A minute later N. Christie shot low into the net from inside the box to get within one of Clinton.

R. Christie picked the ball up on the halfway line and unchallenged went forward and from 20 yards hit a low drive into the net to draw them level at 4-4. A Whyte shot was brilliantly tipped over the bar by Maitland in the away goal. With five minutes left Ryan Christie completed his hatrick after he scored the fifth for Pitsligo and then N. Christie got his hatrick after he was played in on goal, he slotted it home and in the last minute he got his fourth to finish the scoring and for Pitsligo to go forward to play Invercairn United in the final.

The match will be played at Longside FC with a 2pm kick-off on Saturday, February 26.