Excellent away day for Longside

Share this article

Longside travelled to Aberdeen to play Banks O’Dee in the PMAC group Superleague fixture at the weekend.

The visitors took the lead in the sixth minute when they took advantage of a mistake in the Dee defence and keeper Stark got a hand to Paul Campbell’s shot but couldn’t keep it out.

A dangerous cross from Rintoul was headed clear by Steven Davidson.

The home side were awarded a free kick just outside the box in the 15th minute, Hunter took a short kick to Rintoul but his shot was well blocked by Steven Davidson.

Hunter went clear for Dee but Thomson made a brilliant save to keep his goal intact.

Longside thought they had doubled their tally when Marchi finished a Duncan knock down but the referee’s assistant ruled offside. A Rintoul shot was parried clear for a corner by Thomson, Hunter’s kick was taken well by Thomson.

Stark made a good save from a Campbell free kick. With 24 minutes gone a McClelland shot was deflected for another corner, Hunter’s kick was headed clear by Steven Davidson.

McClelland cut inside from the right but his rising shot went well over the bar.

A Jack free kick was blocked by the defensive wall before Winton fired the rebound wide. Donaldson had a good clearance to block a McCall shot.

Just on half time Thomson was the Longside saviour again when he blocked a Hunter shot at the expense of a corner, from Rintoul’s kick McCall headed over the bar.

Just after the re-start, the home side were awarded a free kick just outside the box after a foul on Hunter, Petrie’s kick was blocked by the defensive wall before being cleared.

A testing cross from McClelland was cleared by Steven Davidson. Longside made a change in 55 minutes when Nicol Davidson replaced Porter.

A fine cross from Zander Davidson was saved by Stark. A Jack pass found Winton on the edge of the box but he fired his shot over the bar.

A long range shot from Russell went well wide but Thomson had it covered. At the other end Nicol Davidson tried to catch Stark off his line but his shot dipped over the bar.

The home side equalised in the 62nd minute when Stephen Jack drifted behind the Longside defence before smashing the ball high into the net.

Jack got to the byeline minutes later before crossing into the middle but Beddie managed to clear the ball for a corner. Thomson made a brilliant save after a mistake had given Petrie a chance.

A 25-yard shot from Rintoul went high over the bar. Longside were awarded a free kick in the 76th minute, Zander Davidson’s kick eluded everyone and went into the net for Longside to regain the lead.

A mistake by Donaldson allowed Jack a chance but again Thomson was on hand to make the save.

Thomson was in the thick of the action minutes later to deny McCall. A free kick from Winton for Dee went over the bar. The home side turned up the heat in the closing minutes but Longside held on for a hard fought victory.

This was a huge three points for Longside and a real backs to the wall performance. They rode their luck at times and Banks O’Dee had most of the chances but Longside have had games like that this season also.

There were a lot of top performances for Longside but Thomson, Duncan, Campbell and Marchi maybe deserve a special mention.

Longside are at home to Banchory St.Ternan on Saturday in the PMAC Group Superleague with a 2pm kick-off.

LONGSIDE: Thomson, Whyte, Beddie, Donaldson, Panton, Marchi, Porter, Campbell, Duncan, S.Davidson, A.Davidson. Subs: Weir, Heatherwick, Butcher, N. Davidson, Norris.