Eight in a row

Share this article

PETERHEAD took their unbeaten run to eight games on Saturday with an impressive 3-0 victory over play-off rivals Queen’s Park at Hampden.

With the Blue Toon now lying comfortably in second place in the league the focus now is earning their place in the Second Division next season.

And to do that, they will have to serve up another victory at Hampden on Wednesday night and take on the Spiders yet again at Balmoor on Saturday.

However, with Queen’s Park resting several of their players in preparation for the double-header, Peterhead will have no room for complacency in their bid for promotion.

The Blue Toon started confidently, but Queen’s Park stood their ground and had a couple of promising forays into the Peterhead goal area.

McCann won Peterhead a foul in a dangerous position after 16 minutes and Redman was ominously close with a header from the resultant cross, but his effort went over the top.

A corner for Peterhead out of absolutely nothing after 20 minutes sent warning bells ringing in the home camp. The ball was swung in; Gilfillan had the freedom of Mount Florida at the far post and buried the header past Lochhead to put the visitors 1-0 up.

It could have been two just moments later as another punt caught the Spiders with their pants down. Rodgers was clear, but Gibson got in a perfectly-timed challenge right at the death to keep the home side in touch.

The goal had certainly knocked Queen’s Park out of their stride and they were looking vulnerable at the back. However, they rallied on the half-hour when Smith had to be at his best to tip away a fine cross from Davison.

Three minutes later and the home side could - and possibly should - have been level.

Davison got the break of the ball and raced goalwards. His cross was met by Quinn whose effort was also deflected, right into the path of Keenan. He looked odds-on to score, but his shot was knocked over the top by the toe of defender Ross. The resultant corner brought no joy and Queen’s Park remained a goal down.

Peterhead made a change at the break, with Sharp replacing Noble.

Just on 50 minutes Graeme Sharp played a neat ball over Bradley and Rodgers took it in his stride to score with ease.

Twenty minutes from time Peterhead made their second change, replacing Cox with Fitzgerald.

The game was dying a death as it entered the final 15 minutes. Peterhead were comfy without doing too much and gave the Spiders a lesson on how it should be done after 78 minutes.

Rodgers fired the ball across to Cowie and he buried it with as sweet a first-time strike as you are ever likely to see. It was a peach, sealing the victory as it put them 3-0 ahead.

Rodgers had enjoyed a good afternoon, which came to an end after 85 minutes as he was replaced by Tully.

However, fans are in for a double treat this week as this was no more than a dress rehearsal for the real thing which gets underway on Wednesday!

PETERHEAD: Graeme Smith, McGlinchey, Ross, Strachan, Noble (Sharp), Cowie, Redman, Gilfillan, Cox (Fitzgerald), Rodgers (Tully), McCann. Subs Not Used: Jarvie, Ross Smith.

Attendance: 462