Eight-goal thriller keeps the fans entertained in Cup encounter

IN the Elizabethan Lounge Cup semi-final, New Pitsligo faced Invercairn United and it was the home side that progressed when they kept up their recent great form beating Invercairn by five goals to one.

Manager Gibby Stephen was the star of the show scoring all five goals for the home side.

The away side did get on the scoresheet by the way of an own goal. Both sides finished the match with ten players when John Harley for the home side and Stuart Stephen for the visitors were both sent off.

In the other semi-final St Combs had Clinton Thistle as visitors and the first chance fell to Slater but Gordon in the home goal saved.

Eric John West came close to opening the scoring when Peter Bruce sent in a cross from the left and the Clinton defence left it for keeper Stewart.

West got in front of the keeper but Stewart managed to push his shot over the bar.

Callaghan curled in a dangerous cross which Dolman fired over the bar.

Minutes later Willie Noble cleared off his goal line. At the other end Scott Milne hit a terrific shot from the edge of the box that Gordon pushed over the bar.

Callaghan drove forward and found John Smith who should have scored but fired wide.

The away side took the lead on 43 minutes when Noble beat two players on the right and his shot was parried out by Gordon and Martin Cowe was on hand to score.

Into the second half and with two minutes gone Clinton doubled their lead when Scott Milne beat three players on the left and cut in and lashed a left foot shot high in to the net.

On the hour mark the home side got a goal back when an EJ West shot was saved and Dolman fed back to West who fired home under the keeper.

Shortly after it was all square when Peter Bruce found Dolman 20 yards out who then fired a ferocious shot into the corner of the net.

Back came Clinton and when a cross came in from the right, it was deflected into the St Combs net by a home player.

However, St Combs were level a minute later when a Callaghan shot was parried out by Stewart and EJ West fired home the equaliser.

West had another great chance from a Dunbar corner which fell to him at the edge of the box and he lifted the ball up and volleyed but it went high over the bar.

On 82 minutes Clinton were ahead again after Scott Milne sent in a brilliant cross and the evergreen Slater sent his header into the roof of the net.

Clinton were awarded a penalty with two minutes remaining and up stepped Stuart Fowlie to fire home giving the keeper no chance.

In the Scottish Cup third round, Rosehearty Thistle were up against Treetops from the Forth Valley League and this was always going to be a tough game.

The home side went in front with a goal from James Timmins and it stayed that way until half time.

In the second half Treetops came out strong and scored two quick goals to take a 2-1 lead.

They then scored another and with the home side pushing for a goal to get back in the game , they were caught out twice on the break and the away side ended up winning by 5-1 and they now take their place in the quarter-finals.

Results: Elizabethan Lounge Cup semi-finals - New Pitsligo 5, Invercairn United 1; St Combs 3, Clinton Thistle 5.

Scottish Cup third round -Rosehearty Thistle 1, Treetops 5.