Dyce go top with win at Maud

Share this article

Maud were dealt a blow before this PMAC Group Superleague match when Fraser Hall called off due to an injury.

But the home side started the game well and had the first shot on target by Duguid but Buchanan saved easily.

The big keeper was in action again when he punched clear a freekick by Fraser under pressure.

He then came rushing out to block a shot from S. Bremner who was played in with a fine ball by Barbour.

At the other end home keeper Barbour did well to tip over the bar a shot by McNamee. From the resulting corner McNamee rose high to head towards the top corner of the net, only to see Fraser clearing the ball off the line.

The visitors were lucky to still have 11 men on the park when a rash tackle by Murray was only punished by the referee, on another day it would have been red.

Maud had to make an forced change after 15 minutes when the injured Fraser was replaced by Morrice.

Alexander curled a dangerous cross to the back post to S. Bremner but he couldn’t keep his header on target.

Robertson made a brilliant last-ditch tackle preventing Gordon getting his shot away inside the penalty box.

Dyce took the lead against the run of play when home keeper Barbour slipped when taking a goal kick and the ball landed at the feet of Gordon who lobbed the helpless keeper to score.

The visitors doubled their lead on 39 minutes when goal scorer Gordon crossed for the unmarked Steven Bartlett to rifle home.

Into the second half and for the first 15 minutes play went from end to end with neither side creating an opening.

On the hour-mark Maud made their second change with A. Bremner replacing S. Bremner. A Rae shot from the edge of the box was tipped over the bar by Buchanan.

Maud thought they had pulled a goal back when a corner was swung in, the home keeper half cleared and the ball fell to Duguid who fired home from close only for the linesman to give offside even when the visitors had two players on the goal line.

On 73 minutes the home side made their final change with Stott replacing the injured Alexander.

From a corner by Duguid Barbour rose above the Dyce defence but his header went just over the bar.

The away side were always a threat on the break but the final passes went astray. Maud kept going to the end but failed to find the net thus Dyce going to the top of the league.

This was an under par performance by the home side who started the better but Dyce grew stronger as the game went on. It looks like being a costly game with Fraser and Alexander both picking up injuries which could keep them out for a while.

Maud’s next is a daunting trip to face Tayport from the McBookie East Superleague, Dundee in the 3rd of the GA Engineering Interregional cup with a 2.30pm ko

Maud: J Barbour, Graham, Chalmers, J Robertson, Simpson, Rae, Fraser, Duguid, S Bremner, L Barbour, Alexander. Subs: A Bremner, Morrice, Conway, Stott