Disappointment for ten-man Longside as Banks’ O’Dee come out top

Share this article

Longside had Banks O’Dee as visitors on Saturday in a Superleague encounter.

There was drama in the fourth minute when the visitors were awarded a penalty when Jack went down in the box after a challenge with Craik.

With the home players appealing for offside the referee pointed to the spot and gave the Longside player a red card. Steven Jack made no mistake putting Duffy the wrong way.

Campbell was sent clear for Longside but he dragged his shot well wide. Jack picked up the ball just outside the box but his shot was deflected for a cornerwhich came to nothing.

Whyte sent over a decent cross but it was just too far in front of Porter and went out for a goalkick.

Lynch did well on the right before sending over a low cross which Duffy saved. Lynch again found space and he saw his shot bounce back off the post before being cleared.

Morrison found Murray with a superb cross but his shot went into the side netting. Greig was next to have a shot at goal but his effort went narrowly wide.

Butcher fed the ball inside for Whyte and his shot was deflected for a corner, Butcher rose to head Whyte’s kick against the bar before it was cleared.

An Elrick free kick was scrambled over the bar by Dee keeper Robertson, Whyte’s corner found Butcher and his shot was brilliantly saved by Robertson.

Just before half time the visitors doubled their lead when David Greig had his shot blocked by Black but he followed up to guide the ball into the corner of the net.

Three minutes into the second half Dee went three up when Graeme Long rose to head a corner past a helpless Duffy.

Longside lost the services of Butcher minutes later when he went off to be replaced by Bruce.

The home side pulled a goal back in 59 minutes when Paul Campbell did well to control a Whyte cross before clipping the ball past the keeper.

A mistake by Black gave Greig a chance but his shot was well saved by Duffy. Longside made a second enforced change when Usher came on for the injured Elrick.

Stuart had a great chance to add to the visitors tally but he failed to connect with the ball properly and the chance was lost. Nick Greig broke through the Longside defence but Duffy made another good stop.

Campbell got on the end of a Whyte cross but he couldn’t get enough power in his shot and the danger was cleared.

In the final minute Nick Greig completed the scoring when he beat Duffy from 12 yards.

This game dealt more disappointment for Longside who made a game of it despite playing 84 minutes with ten men.

The visitors plight was made easier in the fourth minute when the referee made that big decision to send off Herbie Craik and surely if an assistant had been there the outcome might have been different.

Taking nothing away from Banks O’Dee who went on to win comfortably, but with ten men Longside were always going to be up against it.

This Saturday Longside are at home to Hall Russells in the Superleague with a 2pm kick-off.

LONGSIDE: Duffy, Elrick, Beddie, Black, Craik, Norris, Whyte, Cardno, Campbell, Butcher and Porter. Subs: Bruce, Panton, Donaldson and Usher.