Disappiontment for Longside as the fail to take all the points

junior football

Longside travelled to play Aberdeen University on Saturday in the PMAC group First Division East.

The visitors forced a corner in the opening minute when Ramsay’s cross was deflected, Taylor’s kick was cleared.

Longside took the lead in the 14th minute when a Ramsay corner saw Ryan and Butcher try to get on the end of it and the ball broke for Nicol Davidson N and he rifled it into the net.

Butcher ran onto a Weir pass but Ryan raced from his goal to make a fine save.

At the other end Weir cleared the ball off the line as far as Christmas but his shot went well wide.

Smith then had a great chance to level matters when he arrived late in the box but he too couldn’t get his shot on target.

University equalised in 24 minutes when Dean Allan made a fine save but John Duguid was first to react and he fired the ball home.

Longside restored their lead in the 40th minute when the ball broke to Sean Butcher n the edge of the box and he chipped it over the keeper and into the net.

Longside finished the half strongly and after Nicol Davidson went close with a half chance.

Home keeper Ryan made a superb point blank save to turn away a diving header from Butcher for a corner after good work from Ramsay, Innes got on the end of Ramsay’s kick but he sent his header wide.

A Christmas free kick from 30 yards was well saved by Dean Allan.

A Workman corner was again dealt with well by keeper Allan this time punching it clear.

The visitors had a let off early in the second half when they failed to clear a high ball into the danger area and Workman saw his 15-yard shot strike the post before it was cleared.

University were handed a penalty in 51 minutes when Weir was adjudged to have fouled Workman in the box, Daniel Smith made no mistake from the spot.

Butcher then went close with an angled shot from 18 yards.

Longside made a change when McIntosh replaced Shewan.

The visitors took the lead again in 66 minutes when a Taylor strike hit the underside of the bar and Innes followed up with his first shot hitting the post but Butcher made no mistake.

Longside made a second change when Munro replaced Stott.

With Longside trying to hang on for all three points the home side equalised in the final minute, they couldn’t get the ball clear and William Montieth’s shot was deflected past a helpless keeper Allan.

This was a disappointing result for Longside having been a minute away from picking up all three points but on the balance of play a draw was maybe a fair result.

Longside now have no game until the fixtures are out for January 10.

LONGSIDE: D.Allan, Weir, L.Allan, Innes, Bain, Stott, N.Davidson, Taylor, Butcher, Shewan and Ramsay. Subs: Munro, McGarva, Jamieson, McIntosh and Fulton.