Defensive mistakes cost Bay

Share this article

CRUDEN Bay travelled to play East region Junior side Brechin Victoria on Saturday for the third of their pre-season friendlies on Saturday.

The Bay included Lee Lawrence, who is on loan from Highland League Fraserburgh.

A good attacking move involving Andy T. Whyte and Lawrence saw the latter’s effort deflected for a corner, which the Bay could not take advantage off.

In a Brechin attack Ross put his header from Eaton’ corner as Brechin began to exert some pressure. Gauld made a run on the Bay goal but put his final effort wide of the goal.

In another Brechin attack McKessick had to get down smartly to prevent Fyfe from scoring for the home side.

Brechin were now beginning to take control of the game but were scorning chances created Fyfe broke on the right and put the ball back across the Bay goal; fortunately for the Bay, Sime was on hand to clear the danger at the expense of a corner.

Brechin’s pressure told after 35 minutes when an Easton free kick from 30 yards was tipped on the bar by McKessick and Easton headed the rebound into the net before the Bay defence could recover.

Fyfe was proving prominent for the home side; another run on the left by the player ending with his cross going behind. Gourlay then latched onto a clearance by the Bay defence from a Duff corner; the effort from the edge of the box going well wide of goal.

The Bay did manage to create a couple of chances in the closing minutes of the half; an effort from from Lawrence following a Sime free kick going wide and then Andy T Whyte had a good opportunity when Robbie in the home goal, could not get to Gauld back header and the Bay attacker having latched onto the ball, eventually put the effort into the side netting.

Sime tested keeper Robbie in the opening stages of the second half with a free kick from 25 yards but the keeper collected easily.

The Bay were now beginning to get themselves more into the game. Andy T Whyte broke clear in the home area, but in attempting to control the ball fouled a defender as well.

Lawrence was then just beaten to the ball by the Brechin defence in another Bay attack and then Inglis fired wide from outside the box.

Gatt then did well saving with his legs from Barker as he bore down on goal having collected a bouncing ball which deceived the Bay defence.

In 65 minutes the home side went two up when the ball appeared to be deflected into the net by the Bay defence following a Myles corner on the right.

Three minutes later the Bay found themselves another goal behind when Myles was on hand to tap home a Ferguson pass after the latter had been set up Gauld

A minute later the Bay defence was left standing as Ross was allowed to run on unchallenged and slip the ball past Gatt.

The Bay did get a consolation goal with five minutes left when Nicoll headed a clearance forward to Sangster who then put the ball past Robbie.

For the second week running defensive mistakes were the Bay’ undoing; with the league beginning next week a quick solution is required

On Saturday the Bay start the season in earnest when the entertain Whitehills in a PMAC Division to game at Watson Park with a 2pm kick-off.

CRUDEN BAY: McKessick, Andy Whyte, Watson, Findlay, Sime, Tocher, Park, Lawrence, Andy T Whyte, Inglis, Wilby. Subs Nicoll, Sangster, Ferris, Donald, Gatt.