Cup delight for Hearts after penalty shoot-out victory

BUCHANHAVEN Hearts had Parkvale as visitors in a Morrison Cup first round tie in only one of two games to beat the weather on Saturday.

Raemoss Park was very soft as Parkvale took the game to Hearts early on and Campbell had to look lively with a cross from Middleton.

Parkvale took the lead with a controversial goal when Cadger took the ball down with his hand but was allowed to play on and his shot beat Campbell all ends up.

McLeod played a one-two to carve open the Parkvale defence but Gibson pulled off a great save to deny the visitors the equaliser.

Campbell then made a great stop from Cadger and Keith made a saving tackle to stop Hearts going two down.

Hearts fought back and equalised when a long-range shot from Forbes flew past Gibson and hit the back of the net to make it 1-1.

Hearts were now forcing the play and a corner from Forbes was just missed by Clark.

Hearts pressed towards half time with a series of corners but couldn’t capitalise to get the lead.

Hearts made a slow start after the break and Parkvale came close with a shot from Milne.

A corner from Forbes saw Fraser get in at the near post but he agonisingly missed the ball.

Parkvale regained the lead when Hearts made a mess of a throw-in and the ball landed at Cadger’s feet whand he turned and shot past Campbell to put Parkvale 2-1 ahead.

Gibson kept Parkvale level when a cross from Clark found Ballard through on goal but the keeper saved well.

Hearts were then awarded a penalty when Ballard went through but was taken down late by Watt. Ballard stepped up but his shot hit the post. However, he followed up to score the rebound to level it again at 2-2.

Both teams were looking for the winner with Parkvale having a goal chalked off for offside.

Ballard forced Gibson into another good save and had a chance to win the match but was again denied by Gibson and it finished 2-2.

With it being the Cup the game went straight to penalties with Parkvale missing three attempts with Campbell pulling off a couple of great saves and Hearts scoring three with Clark, Keith and Forbes on target to go through 3-2 on penalties

A draw was probably a fair result on very heavy and bumpy pitch, with Hearts having a little bit of good fortune with some decisions but also with some confident goalkeeping from Campbell in goal.

Buchanhaven Hearts’ next game is away to Islavale in a league encounter on Saturday with a kick -off time of 2pm.

HEARTS: Campbell, Keith, Clark, Cunningham, Abolehassam, Fraser, Leslie, Forbes, Ballard, McLeod, Watson. Subs: G. Brown, McLean.