Culter prove double trouble for Longside

editorial image
Share this article

JLONGSIDE had Culter as visitors on Saturday in the Superleague. In the opening minute a Craik free kick was cleared for a corner, Porter’s kick was cleared upfield. The visitors replied when they forced a corner but Stott’s kick went behind for a goalkick.

A long ball found Campbell who neatly headed it into the path of Cardno but he had to rush his shot and drove it wide. Porter surged into the penalty box before firing his shot wide. At the other end McWilliam had a shot from the edge of the box but his effort was straight at Thomson.

A McAllister corner was headed clear by Craik. Taylor had a half chance for Culter when the ball broke to him inside the box but he blasted it over the bar. Black weaved his way into the box before shooting low past Farquhar but his shot was cleared off the line for a corner which came to nothing.

The visitors opened the scoring in 27 minutes when McAllister was allowed to dribble his way into the Longside box before the ball broke to Greg Donald and he drilled it high into the net. Minutes later a Stott corner was flicked on for Seivwright who had a free header eight yards out but he headed the ball over the bar.

A Stott cross to the far post was met by McAllister but his header was saved by Thomson at full stretch. Longside were awarded a free kick just outside the box in 42 minutes, Porter’s kick went wide.

A Stott corner at the start of the second half was cleared as far as Craik but his long range shot went well wide. Culter had a great chance to double their lead when McBain was put clear and he nudged it past the advancing Thomson but also past the post.

A Whyte cross found Black but his header was blocked before going harmlessly back to the keeper. McAllister beat the offside trap before running clear but he drove the ball into the side netting. Culter did get their second in 62 minutes when a Donald cross was brilliantly taken down by Mike Taylor before volleying the ball past Thomson.

Longside made two changes in quick succession with Cardno and Ross being replaced by Danton and Stainton. A Whyte free kick was missed by everyone before going out for a goalkick.

The dangerous McAllister and Stott were causing the home side a lot of problems on the flanks but the defence stood up well and limited them to shots from outside the box.

This was a game Longside were probably never expecting to win but it took two superb goals to beat them. They competed well but lacked that extra spark and never really tested the Culter rearguard.

Longside’s next game is on Saturday away to FC Stoneywood in the Superleague (kick-off 2.30pm).

LONGSIDE: Thomson, Black, Beddie, Taylor, Craik, Wood, Porter, Ross, Campbell, Cardno and Whyte. Subs: Stainton, Panton, Danton, Bruce, Davidson,

Cowie and Usher.