Cool Campbell’s penalty fires Longside to victory

LLONGSIDE had Banchory St.Ternan as visitors on Saturday in the Superleague. In the second minute a Cowie corner was cleared out to Cowie again but his shot took a deflection before being saved by McKenzie.

By The Newsroom
Tuesday, 10th May 2011, 9:58 am

Minutes later another corner this time from Whyte found Taylor at the back post but his header went wide. Longside took the lead in the tenth minute when Danton saw his shot saved, Steven Whyte followed up to slot the ball home.

Banchory replied when an Ogston cross was headed into the path of Stainer by Fettes but his shot clipped the bar before going out for a goalkick. An Ogston free kick was headed wide by Shand. McRae was the next to have a shot for the visitors but his 25 yard effort went wide.

The visitors did get back on level terms in 26 minutes when Scott Garrett was allowed to run through unchallenged and guide his shot into the net past Thomson. Longside went back upfield and a Davidson shot from the edge of the box was saved by McKenzie at full stretch.

Longside regained the lead in 43 minutes when Nicol Davidson burst through the Banchory defence before firing the ball high into the net from 15 yards.

A minute later Campbell beat McKenzie to a through ball before chipping it over the keeper but it went wide. Just before the break Garrett beat the offside trap but his shot was well saved by Thomson.

Longside made an enforced change at the start of the second half with Porter replacing the injured Danton. Two minutes into the second half Shand ran clear on the left but his shot went into the side netting.

The home team were forced to make a second change with Wood replacing the injured Porter. Banchory equalised in 57 minutes when the Longside defence was caught all at sea and Keith Horne picked up the ball before drilling a 25-yard strike high into the net.

A Horne corner was met by McRae but his header was cleared off the line by Whyte before the Longside defence managed to scramble the ball clear. Whyte did well on the right before finding Davidson in the middle, he knocked the ball goalward and Cowie couldn’t get enough of the ball and the chance was lost.

Horne then tried a shot from just outside the box but he drove it wide. Campbell had a strike for Longside from 20 yards but McKenzie dived full length to save.

Longside were awarded a penalty in the 89th minute when Galashan was adjudged to have handled the ball in the box and he picked up his second yellow card and was then sent off, Paul Campbell put the keeper the wrong way to give his side the lead.

Davidson had a great chance to put the result beyond doubt when he got on the end of a Whyte cross but his header went narrowly over the bar.

Longside probably did enough to win the game but again they made heavy weather about it by missing chances and giving away sloppy goals. Two wins on the spin though they are still showing a lot of guts and determination and are not going to go down without a fight.

Longside’s next game is on Tuesday, May 17, at home to Sunnybank in the Superleague, kick-off 7.15pm.

Longside: Thomson, Black, Beddie, Taylor, Craik,

Cowie, Whyte, Panton,

Danton, Campbell and

Davidson. Subs: Wood, Porter, Stainton, Ross, Bruce, Usher.