Clinton lift Brucklay Cup

editorial image

Clinton met Pitsligo for a second final this season. Clinton took the lead on ten minutes when a free kick was swung in and Daniel Smith rose high to head home.

Two minutes later, a Milne corner was headed in by Stuart Fowlie. On 25 minutes Pitsligo pulled a goal back after a cross was deflected goalwards and Summers managed to parry out but Michael Stephen was on hand to squeeze home from a tight angle.

A quick break by Clinton saw Whyte cross to Martin and he should have scored but Alexander came out to save.

At the other end M. Stephen played in Shaun Jamieson and he fired low into the bottom corner of the net to square the score at 2-2.

In the second half, Clinton regained the lead when Scott Milne was played in behind the Pitsligo defence and he rounded the out-coming Alexander and slot into the net to give Clinton a 3-2 lead.

Clinton were awarded a freekick on the edge of the Pitsligo box and up stepped Simon Whyte to curl round the wall and into the corner of the net.

Michael Stephen scored for Pitsligo when he was through on goal, he slotted past Summers.

Matthew Cowe sealed the Cup for Clinton when he picked the ball up on the right and he cut in and beat his marker and his strike found the far corner of the net.

In the Ship Inn League Cup first round, Rosehearty Thistle entertained Elizabethan Link Up for the second time in three days but this time it was for a place in the quarter -fnal.

The away side took the lead when a ball was floated into the Rosehearty box, the home side all stopped to claim offside but Martin Bain timed his run right and he headed over the out coming keeper and into the net.

A Sam Buchan left foot strike from 12 yards found the bottom corner of the net to double the away side lead.

Two minutes into the second half and Buchan got his second to make it 3-0 and Neil Holland converted a penalty to make it four and substitute Brent Bruce scored a fifth to complete the scoring.

Another first round tie was between Bellslea and Mormond Thistle and the home side were far too strong for the away side after running out winners by 8-1.

In the quarter-final, St Drostans played host Faithlie United and the away side hit double figures and progress to the next round after winning 10-0.

Another quarter-final game between New Deer and St Combs ended with St Combs getting back to winning ways with a comfortable win by 6-1.. In the Deejays Nightclub League’s only match of the day Cheers were up against Elizabethan Link Up and it ended in stalemate with neither club finding the net.

Results as follows:

Ship Inn League Cup first round - Rosehearty Thistle 0, Elizabethan Link Up 5; St Drostans 0, Faithlie United 10.

Quarter-final - New Deer 1, St Combs 6; Bellslea 8, Mormond Thistle 1.

Deejays Nightclub League - Cheers 0, Elizabethan Link Up 0.

Fixtures for Tuesday, July 24:

Deejays Nightclub League - Clinton Thistle v New Pitsligo (ko 7pm).

Mormond Cup semi-final - Mormond Thistle v Bellslea (ko 7pm at Strichen).

Wednesday, July 25:

Mormond Cup semi-final - St Drostans v Bellslea (ko 7pm at Strichen).

Friday, July 27:

Mormond Cup final at Strichen ko 7pm.

Saturday, July 28:

Deejays Nightclub League - St Combs v Elizabethan Link Up (ko 2pm).

Ship Inn League Cup, first round - Cheers v New Pitsligo (ko 2pm).