Clinton hold on to go through to the last 16

Clinton Thistle held on to go through to the Last 16 of the Scottish Cup at the weekend.

Clinton entertained League leaders Whiteinch from the CWSFA Welfare league.

The home side had a big shout for a penalty in the first minute but it was waved aside by the referee.

Clinton thought they had taken the lead when a Kewley shot rebounded off the bar and back across goal and Milne netted but he was adjudged to have been offside by the referee.

On ten minutes the home side took the lead when kewley ran 40 yards and stroked the ball under the out-rushing Anderson in the visitors’. goals.

At the other end a corner from R Keaveney found the unmarked K Keaveney but his header went over the bar.

Atkinhead came to the rescue for the home side after some good work by Craig on the left and he cut into the Clinton box only to be blocked by Atkinhead.

The visitors were getting some success on the wings but couldn’t create any openings.

The home side doubled their lead after Scott Milne put through Kewley and he lobbed the keeper from 20 yards.

The visitors hit straight back when a free kick was swung into the Clinton box and Barker rose to head home.

Clinton were reduced to ten men after 59 minutes when Noble picked up his second caution.

Milne was unlucky not to increase the home side’s lead but Anderson made a brilliant save.

Humpheries again brought out a good save by Anderson.

The visitors were beginning to push forward searching for an equaliser but couldn’t find a killer pass.

Last chance of the match fell to Whiteinch best player Wells who hit a free kick over the bar from the edge of the box.

Renton faced Panasonic Tavern in a second round tie and this went all the way to extra time before the home side won by 3-1.

The away side played 70 minutes with ten men after Cunliffe was sent off. Lee Ingils also missed a penalty in extra time.

Mormond Thistle were on their travels to face Treetops from the Forth Valley League.

This proved a step too far for Mormond as they were beaten 7-1.

St Combs had St Drostans as opponents and the home took the lead on an incredible 27 seconds when Steven Bruce lobbed Summers in the away goal.

Callaghan made it 2-0 with a shot from 30 yards. Joe Dollman made it three after 16 minutes.

A fourth goal from Dollman made it 4-0 at half time.

Anderson pulled a goal back for the visitors before the hour mark. Steven Buchan added a fifth from a Dunbar cut back. EJ West scored a sixth after rounding the keeper and stroking into an empty net.

John Smith got his second two minutes later and his hatrick after 80 mins.

Stephen Buchan added an eighth and John Smith got his fourth before AJ Buchan completed the scoring.

Bellslea were hosts to Elizabethan Link Up for a place in the last 16.

It was the home side who go through to the third round with a 4-1 victory.

The goals came from Gavin Wemyss with a brace and one each from William Calder and Lee Noble.

Link Up’s goal was scored from a penalty by keeper Martin Sinclair who again was in outstanding from today and has been playing for the last ten years with Elizabethan Link up.

It now looks as though he is moving up a step to the Junior rank now.

New Deer were away on a trip to face Nairn St Nairn from the Forth Valley League and found themselves two goals down at half time.

Five minutes into the second half and Lewis’ Neil pulled one back for the visitors, then Scott Milne levelled it at two all.

Willie Robbie put New Deer in front for the first time in the match but the home side levelled on 80 minutes.

The game looked as though it was heading for extra time but Kyle Tait fired home the winner with five minutes left.

In the Deejays Nightclub league, New Pitsligo faced Cheers in their second last league game of the season and the home side hit the goal trail once more with their ex-Junior and Highland League strike force of Neil Christie (five), Michael Stephen (four) and Gilbert Stephen (two) scoring 11 between them.

Luke Reekie added a hatrick and Daruis Duncan finished the scoring.


Scottish Cup second round - Clinton Thistle 2, Whiteinch, Treetops 7; Mormond Thistle 1, Nairn St Nairn 3; New Deer 4,, Renton 3; Bellslea 4, Elizabethan Link Up 1; St Combs 11, St Drostans 1; Rosehearty Thistle w/o Tomintol scr,

Deejays Nightclub league - New Pitsligo 15, Cheers 0.

Fixtures for Saturday, November 19:

Faithlie United v Panasonic Tavern (1pm at Kessock Park); Bellslea v St Drostans; Clinton Thistle v New Pitsligo; Mormond Thistle v Cheers; Invercairn United v St Combs 1.30pm.