Clinton emerge victors over New Deer

The triumphant Clinton Thistle side which retained the cup
The triumphant Clinton Thistle side which retained the cup
Share this article

Clinton have retained the SoccerWorld Cup aftera beating New Deer in the final.

In fairness it was hard lines for New Deer who put in plenty of effort and had their chances.

But Clinton were clinical in their finishing and deserved to retain the trophy.

It was 1-0 after just 11 minutes when Clinton’s Willie Noble played in from the right hand side, skipped past a defender and side footed into the net.

Five minutes it was 2-0 when Bob Buchan scored in off the righthand post.

New Deer came back into the game forcing some good saves from Summers after half and hour - the best a rasping shot from Milne well held from Summers.

Just before the intervalReid did well in the New Deer goal to keep it at 2-0 saving low to his right after a good run from Reid.

Into the second half and with the rain much heavier both teams had chances without troubling either keeper.

After 66 minutes man of the match Willie Noble got his second of the game from a free kick low to the keeper’s left through the crowded box.

Three minutes later Matty Cowe scored with a cheeky back flick at the near post after good work down the right from Willie Noble.

New Deer got the consolation goal their efforts deserved five minutes from time when substitute Jay Duncan was played through and cooly slotted past the onrushing summers.

Panasonic down Cup 

Panasonic travelled to Alloa to play Scottish Junior Cup holders Horseshoe in and it was the home side who took the lead in the first minute with a free header from a corner.

The home side were awarded a penalty in the ninth minute which they missed.

Pana equalised on the 17th minute from an Abolgassem corner and Alan Brown scored.

Horseshoe regained the lead in the 22nd minute after some nice play down the right hand side where the cross beat Watson and Horseshoe regained the lead.

Horseshoe were well on top and a few wonderful saves from Simpson kept Pana in the game.

In the 35th minute Pana were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box which Donaldson scored. With one minute left to half time Donaldson was through one on one with keeper but the keeper pulled off a wonder save to keep the scores level.

The second half started pretty much the same as the first with the home side having all of the possession and Simpson pulling off wonderful saves to keep his team in the game.

In the 65th minute Horseshoe regained the lead through a free header from a corner once again.

With 1minute to go a Donaldson shot found its way past the keeper to make 3-3.

With extra time looming Pana pressed forward in stoppage time and with a Kyle Ritchie cross the keeper spilled and Donaldson tapped home to make it 4-3 to the away side.

In a game in which the home side had much of the play, Pana’s grit and determination shone through and they are through to the last eight.


Fixture-Sat 25.01.14-Victoria Coaches Cup Final-Clinton Thistle v New Pitsligo ko 1.30pm at Sandhaven