Clinton celebrate Scottish Welfare Cup final victory over Clydeside

Clinton celebrate victory over Clydeside.
Clinton celebrate victory over Clydeside.

Clinton Thistle travelled to Alloa at the weekend to face Greenock side Clydeside in the Scottish Welfare Cup Final.

The match was only seven minutes in when Clinton had to make a forced change with Darren Barbour being replaced by Neil Holland due to an injury.

It was the Greenock side that had the first chance atfer a pass from Williams left McKay one on one with keeper Summers and the Clinton keeper made a fine block which rebounded to McKay whose shot hit the outside of the post.

At the other end a quickly taken corner from Milne to Humphreys who went past two players on the bye line but his shot was blocked by Williams.

A mistake by Summers nearly cost his team a goal but a quick reaction by Ross to clear off the line.

Clydeside were awarded a free kick on the edge of the Clinton box and up stepped Boyd whose curling free kick went inches past the post.

McKay was next to come close to opening the scoring but saw his lob beat the keeper but also the crossbar.

Clinton should have taken the lead on 31 minutes when a break up field by Whyte who squared to Milne who somehow managed to put wide from six yards with the goal gapping.

Just before half time a Milne cross was deflected goalwards and Beaton did well in goal to back pedal fast and tip the ball over the bar.

At the start of the second half Clinton had two great chances to score but a miss controlled ball by Noble and a poor effort by Humphreys wasted both chances.

A fine ball by Williams left Grant in on goal but Summers was quick off his line to block.

Clinton went in front on 62 minutes when Scott Milne was fouled inside the penalty box and the referee pointed to the spot.

Simon Whyte sent the keeper the wrong way to score.

A good chance was wasted when a quick throw out by Summers to Milne who drove goalwards but a miss timed pass was easily cleared up field.

On 76 minutes a run by Milne was halted inside the box with a rash tackle which resulted in a second penalty.

Simon Whyte dispatched the ball in to the net for a two-goal lead.

From a Whyte cross Ritchie saw his header go close.

A quick break by Whyte and Milne who played a 1-2 to leave Whyte a simple finish for his hatrick.

A fourth goal proved to be the icing on the cake when a long clearance by Summers in to the opposition penalty box where substitution Darren Batty with a brilliant first touch finish netted the last goal of the game which was greeted by loud cheers of the travelling support.