Champs Hermes too strong for Longside

Longside travelled to play reigning champions Hermes on Saturday in the PMAC Group Superleague.

Courage was first to have an attempt at goal when he tried a header from 15 yards but Thomson had it covered. Duncan latched onto a short pass back before Sweeney came out of his goal to half clear the ball, it broke to Calum Davidson and his 30 yard chip came back off the bar before it was cleared to safety.

At the other end Hamilton tried a long range effort but Thomson was on hand to save easily.

With 12 minutes gone Wyness chipped the ball over the bar. Norris went on a good run a minute later beating three player’s but his shot was blocked before Sweeney gathered.

The home side opened the scoring in the 16th minute when Courage was allowed the space to find Richard Wyness and he controlled the ball before turning and shooting low past Thomson. Stainton and Duncan combined for Longside before the latter saw his shot deflected for a corner which came to nothing.

Hermes doubled their advantage in 35 minutes with Courage again being the provider when he crossed the ball low to the far post for Wyness to slot home.

Just on half time a Cardno shot came back off the post with the keeper beaten, Stainton was first to the loose ball but he couldn’t find the target.

Three minutes into the second period Duncan played the ball inside for Butcher but he fired the ball over the bar from 25 yards. Longside pulled a goal back in the 50th minute when Mark Stainton picked up the ball 25 yards out before firing a superb strike into the top corner giving Sweeney no chance.

The Longside joy was short lived when they conceded a third two minutes later when again hesitancy at the back allowed Christopher Courage to rise and head the ball past Thomson from 12 yards. At this point Donaldson replaced the injured Norris.

A 25-yard free kick from Gairns was blocked by the defensive wall before being cleared. A Hamilton free kick for Hermes picked out McRae but he headed wide from 12 yards.

The Longside goal survived a goalmouth scramble before they managed to get the ball clear.

Longside made a second change in the 70th minute when Arthur was replaced by Craik. the visitors had a great chance when a Duncan free kick was deflected into the path of Butcher but with only Sweeney to beat he drove the ball wide.

The home side scored a fourth in the 75th minute when Scott Garrett raced clear on the right before slipping the ball past Thomson.

A minute later Marek Madle outstripped the Longside defence before driving the ball past Thomson.

The same player scored number six in 81 minutes when was allowed a free header to beat Thomson from a Hamilton free kick.

This was not the start Longside were looking for. Hermes fully deserved their victory but the scoreline flatter’s them a little.

Longside’s tough start continues with a league encounter tonight (Tuesday) at home to Dyce Juniors (kick-off 7pm) and then on Saturday they are at home to Fraserburgh United in the Grill League Cup (kick-off 2pm).

LONGSIDE: Thomson, Whyte, Beddie, Arthur, Black, Norris, Stainton, Cardno, Duncan, Butcher and C.Davidson. Subs: Craik, Donaldson, Bruce, B. Davidson, Duffy.