Champions Culter hit Longside boys for six

editorial image
Share this article

Longside travelled to play reigning champions Culter on Saturday in the PMAC group Superleague.

And it was the home side which fully deserved to run out winners, even but thought the 6-0 scoreline flattered them slightly.

The sending off of Daniel early in the second half definitely changed the game but it is surely a rule that needs to be looked into as some referees will show a red and others will give only a yellow.

By the letter of the law it was the right decision but it killed the game as a contest.

Longside can take a lot of positives out of the game as the young side did show some good football at times and caused Culter problems.

In the opening minute McAllister was sent clear but he took a heavy touch and MacDonald saved easily.

Minutes later a Butcher cross was cleared for a corner, Little’s kick was missed by everyone before being cleared at the back post.

The visitors fell behind in 11 minutes after they had a good shout for handball on the edge of the box when a Tait shot appeared to strike the hand of a Culter defender but the ball was swiftly played downfield and Greig played it into the path of Jamie McAllister to score.

A dangerous cross from the lively Greig was well cleared by Panton at the expense of a corner which came to nothing. The home side doubled their lead in 27 minutes when a George McBain shot was brilliantly saved by MacDonald but he fired home the rebound.

Longside made an enforced change at this stage when MccQuaig replaced the injured Cameron. McBain then raced onto a long clearance before cutting inside and firing in a shot which was superbly saved by MacDonald.

A Buchan free kick was cleared as far as MccQuaig and he found Whyte who floated a high ball into the middle and it was met By Davidson and his shot was tipped over the bar by Duffy. Just before half time a Greig free kick struck the post before going out for a goalkick.

McAllister had a great chance to add to his teams tally minutes in the second period but he shot wide from eight yards. McBain saw his dipping volley go just over the bar in 56 minutes.

Longside were dealt a cruel blow in 62 minutes when Daniel mistimed his tackle in the box and brought Greig down, the referee immediately pointed to the spot and showed the young Longside defender a red card.

McAllister made no mistake from the spot.

Culter scored a fourth in 70 minutes when Youngson got to the line and cut it back for David Greig to fire home. Davidson did well on the right for Longside before crossing into the middle but Duffy made a fine save. The home side added number five in the 81st minute when the Longside defence couldn’t get the ball clear Lee Murray was on hand to tap the ball into the net.

The scoring was complete in the 85th minute when McBain scored his second of the match.

Longside’s next game is on Saturday away to Burghead Thistle in the first round of the North Regional Cup (ko 2pm).

Longside: MacDonald, Whyte, Buchan, Panton, Daniel, Tait, Butcher, Burr, Cameron, N.Davidson and Little. Subs: MccQuaig, Harris, Ferris and Mair