Blue Toon thrash Cowdenbeath with seven goal win at Balmoor

Jordon Brown celebrates his first goal with Simon Ferry and Ryan Strachan
Jordon Brown celebrates his first goal with Simon Ferry and Ryan Strachan

Peterhead put seven past Cowdenbeath without reply in an astonishing scoreline for the Blue Toon that nobody saw coming.

This was a magnificent afternoon for the home fans and the benchmark that Jim McInally’s side needs to replicate on a regular basis.

Kyle Miller feels the weight of a tackle from Jordon Brown

Kyle Miller feels the weight of a tackle from Jordon Brown

A first senior hatrick from Leighton McIntosh rightly earned him a man of the match award, Jordan Brown grabbed a double and Rory McAllister made a telling contribution assisting as well as scoring.

With the Scottish Cup tie against Livingstone on Saturday in mind, McInally sent out a team that will presumably start with on loan Jassem Sukar , Cammy Kerr and Ally Gilchrist not going to be available for selection.

The game almost got off to a disastrous start for Graeme Smith with a miss-hit clearance falling to namesake Gordon but he redeemed himself with a one handed save at the expense of a corner.

That apart, the visitors were anonymous as an attacking force.

A quite opening quarter of an hour from Peterhead suddenly changed in the space of a couple of minutes.

First McAllister went on a mazy run leaving Cowden defenders in his wake but his feeble shot failed to trouble the goal.

A minute later though his cross from the right found McIntosh who headed the opener.

Less than 60 seconds later Brown doubled the lead with a low shot into the bottom left corner and suddenly the home side were in the driving seat.

After 22 minutes a McAllister chip from the left side of the area struck the top of the crossbar.

Going into the match the Fifers were unbeaten in four not having conceded in three of them so it was even more surprising when they lost another after 32 minutes, Brown again with a shot high into the net from an angle to the left of goal.

A minute before the break a long ball forward out of defence by Steven Noble picked out McIntosh who scored his second.

More often than not, plenty of goals in a first half means few in the second but not in this one and in the 55th minute it was five, McIntosh netting his hatrick although most in the ground probably missed the ball hitting the net.

The dodgy Balmoor floodlights once again temporarily went out cueing scenes of discontent from all associated with Cowdenbeath.

McAllister made it six after 59 minutes with his 20th of the season and three minutes from the end the same player squared for sub Scott Ferries to score his first goal for the club for a victory as welcome as the margin was unexpected.