Blue Toon get back to winning ways with victory against Airdrieonians in entertaining game for fans

The Blue Toon's Rory McAllister and Alan Lithgow challenge.
The Blue Toon's Rory McAllister and Alan Lithgow challenge.

Two excellent goals, three points and an entertaining game ensured the Blue Toon fans headed from Balmoor with a smile on their faces on Saturday.

A recent run of results that had seen the last league win celebrated on August 22 increased the pressure for a victory against third place Airdrieonians but in the end, an excellent all round performance should have seen the victory achieved by an even greater margin.

Steven Noble was missing with a back injury but Nathan Blockley and Leighton McIntosh returned to play important roles in the win.

Peterhead were impressive for most of the first half and straight from the kick-off went in search of an opener.

Inside the first minute, former favourite David Cox was penalised for a foul just outside the area, and perhaps harshly cautioned as well, and Rory McAllister sent the resulting free kick skidding narrowly past the right hand post.

Jamie Stevenson had to leave the field after half an hour with a hamstring injury to be replaced by Blockley but in the 11th minute he had a shot saved by Neil Parry at the near post at the expense of a corner.

Nicky Riley gets away from Airdrie's Liam Watt.

Nicky Riley gets away from Airdrie's Liam Watt.

After 21 minutes McAllister cut the ball across the six-yard box with pace and Nicky Riley slid his shot narrowly past the right hand upright.

The visitors failed to impress in the early stages but as the half progressed they came more into the game and an Alan Lithgow header crashed off the underside of the bar and down onto the line for a lucky escape after 32 minutes.

The stalemate looked like continuing into the break until a bit of Rory magic saw the Blue Toon take the lead. Blockley headed a throw in onto him and McAllister did the rest going on a mazy run with the Airdrie defenders spellbound as he finished with a shot low into the bottom corner from the edge of the penalty area.

The second half almost started in spectacular style with McAllister trying his luck from the centre spot as soon as the whistle blew and Parry’s blushes were spared as he tipped the ball over for a corner.

Peterhead's Leighton McIntosh celebrates his goal.

Peterhead's Leighton McIntosh celebrates his goal.

The home pressure continued and Jordan Brown sent a snapshot that took another fine save by Parry to keep the ball out.

Riley then kept the Airdrie no.1 busy with a deflected shot that had him scrambling across his goal.

Despite their dominance, the home side needed the security of a second goal and that came with ten minutes remaining. Cammy Kerr capped a fine game with a run and shot that Parry failed to hold and the ball fell perfectly into the path of McIntosh who tucked a shot high into the net from six yards for the clincher.

Peterhead: Smith, Kerr, Stevenson (Blockley 30), Ross, Gilchrist, Strachan, Ferry, Redman, McAllister, Brown (Sutherland 80), Riley (McIntosh 71). Subs (unused ): Jarvie, Dzierzawski, Rodgers, Ferries.

Attendance: 553