Bay throw away the points against Victoria

CRUDEN Bay entertained new boys and league leaders Portgordon Victoria in a PMAL League Division Two game on Saturday.

Portgordon had an early chance in the opening minute when Clark tried an effort on the edge of the box which was well wide and then Shaw had to move quickly to block a Mair shot.

Glennie made a good save from a Mair free kick on the edge of the Bay area. At the other end Downie put in a shot from 20 yards only to see it go wide of Barclay’s right hand post. The Portgordon keeper then was quickly off his line to collect a free kick from Downie.

In 17 minutes the Bay took the lead when Downie found Tocher on the right whose cross went to Goodwin. The Bay attacker made no mistake finding the corner of the net.

Good play by the Bay involving Davidson saw Goodwin’s final effort well saved by keeper Barclay. Anderson’s free kick found Goodwin who headed the ball on to Irvine, the latter’s shot was comfortably saved by Barclay. Irvine set up Davidson on the left but his cross was cleared by Andy McPherson.

A long range effort by Mair was well wide and a Daryl McPherson shot went well over the Bay bar.

In 35 minutes Sutherland broke clear and, although Glennie blocked his initial attempt, the Portgordon player was on hand to head the rebound into the net.

Goodwin then put his shot over the bar after he had been set up by Milne and at the other end Mark G Wood just failed to connect with a Sutherland cross.

In the dying minutes of the first half Milne put a cross behind following a good Bay move and a long range free kick from Irvine just went over.

Right from the restart the ball broke to Goodwin who made no mistake with an angled shot he gave the Bay the lead once more.

The Bay increased their lead after 50 minutes when Morrison headed the ball on to Davidson who ran on to slot the ball past Barclay. Goodwin then tried a long range shot which went well wide and a Johnny Watson cross was easily collected by Barclay.

After 65 minutes Glennie failed to collect a cross from Daryl McPherson and Clark headed the ball home.

Johnny Watson restored the Bay’s lead when he converted a cross from Cadger.

The Bay began to sit back at this stage and allowed Portgordon to get back in the game. Mair headed wide following a good cross from the right from Clark and Mark G Wood put a free kick wide.

Portgordon really pressed hard during the last 10 minutes as the Bay continued to sit back.

Portgordon’s persistence paid off after 88 minutes when McLaughlin ran onto a through ball, although Glennie came off his line he hesitated as the Portgordon attacker approached and the ball was slotted past the Bay keeper.

Portgordon were awarded a penalty in added time when Cadger kicked out widely during a Portgordon attack. McLaughlin made no mistake from the spot for the equaliser.

This result can only be considered as two points thrown away by the Bay, who having a two goal lead twice, failed to close the game down to get the full points which would have reduced the visitors lead at the top of the table.

CRUDEN BAY: Glennie, Tocher, Anderson, Shaw, Downie, Morrison, Irvine, Sturton, Goodwin, Davidson, Milne. Subs: Johnny Watson, Lynch, Sangster, Simmers, Cadger.