Bay take Portgordon scalp

Share this article

This was a top of the table clash in the PMAC Division Two between the leaders and second place.

An early effort from Park on the edge of the visitor’s box was comfortably saved by keeper Redwood.

There was very little goal mouth action in the remainder of the first ten minutes with both sides probing and trying to get on top.

The visitors then missed a good chance when Greig headed a free kick and M. G. Wood shot well wide.

S. Clark broke clear following a free kick from A. McPherson but overran the ball which went through to Evans in the home goal.

In a Bay attack Lynch put another free kick well wide and then the same player broke clear only to shoot tamely at Redwood.

After 27 minutes the Bay took the lead. Lynch broke into the Portgordon area only to be upended by Ross, who was red carded for the offence. Lynch made no mistake from the spot putting just inside Redwood’s right hand post.

Anderson then had to move quickly to deflect a Sutherland cross from the right. A McPherson tried to get Portgordon going in another attack but his pass was over hit.

Another Bay free kick was wasted as Anderson’s effort was too high for Downie to reach.

Evans then saved the day for the Bay when Sutherland broke free following a mistimed clearance by Findlay, the Bay keeper blocking the Portgordon player’s effort.

The Bay then had a series of corners which all come to nothing as Portgordon defended resolutely, ending the first half.

Park put a cross over the bar as the Bay attacked from the restart.

The visitors then started to apply pressure on the home side and did not seem to be handicapped with a man short.

Lynch had a chance to increase the Bay’s lead but just failed to reach an S Morrison cross from the left. An Anderson free kick found S. Morrison who then laid the ball on to Lynch, who squandered the chance by miskicking and putting the ball out for a goal kick.

Redwood then saved Portgordon as he dived to save at the feet of Lynch following a good run by Anderson.

After 67 minutes the visitors equalised after a long ball was slotted past keeper Evans. However, the Bay keeper foiled Sutherland a few minutes later when he saved his shot in a further Portgordon attack.

In 77 minutes the Bay went ahead again when Anderson found Park unmarked in the visitor’s box. Park then hit a tremendous shot which gave Redwood no chance.

The Bay then began to create more chances; Park again broke clear but put his effort wide as he was challenged by A McPherson. Lynch then broke clear but again mistimed his shot and the chance was gone.

Lynch sealed the game for the Bay when the ball broke to him and he posted two defenders before putting the ball in the net.

CRUDEN BAY: Evans, Findlay, Anderson, Sime, Downie, Sturton, Goodwin, Irvine, Park, Lynch, Wilby. Subs: Tocher, L Morrison, Sangster, Shaw, S Morrison, Donald.