Bay fail to overcome battling Buckie side

Share this article

CRUDEN Bay were away to Buckie Rovers on Saturday in a PMAC Division Two game.

The Bay had a lucky escape early on though when a Kyle Gauld shot from the edge of the box bounced off the leg of Bay keeper, Buchan and the ball eventually cleared.

At the other end the home side also had a let off when a Mair effort hit the bar and bounced several times in from of goal before being cleared by the Buckie defence.

The home side retaliated immediately when Corbett broke clear of the Bay defence and ran in on goal; however, Buchan was off his line quickly to parry the Buckie striker’s effort away.

In a Bay attack, Wisely tried to put Whyte through but the pass was far too long and the ball ran onto Sherman, who collected easily.

The home side were beginning to have more of the game; a free kick was headed out by Wisely to Mark Wood just inside the box but the Buckie man’s shot went well over the bar.

In another Bay attack, Stewart put in timely tackle to rob Ramsay who tried to latch onto a loose ball. A long ball from Glendinning was put over the bar by Stewart for a corner which came to nothing.

The home side were still pressing for the opening goal; a free kick from Mark Wood was handed goalwards by Corbett but Bay keeper Buchan was able to collect easily.

Buchan was called into action early on in the second half, when he had to save a powerful shot from Stables at his near post.

A Whyte free kick was then easily held by Sherman, in the home goal, and then another attempted through ball by C. Buchan went straight to the keeper once more.

In another Buckie attack Legge made a good run into the box and tried to set up Cooper but the final pass was too hard.

Wisely then came to the Bay’s rescue as Corbett made to shoot.

A combination of saves by Buchan and timely interceptions by the Bay defenders saved the day for the visitors as Buckie pressed with a series of corners.

In a Bay attack a Reid effort went straight across goal after he had made a good run down the left.

The home side’s pressure finally paid off after 65 minutes, when a shot by Mark Wood from twelve yards crept through the Bay defence and found it’s way into the visitors’ net.

A long ball from Wisely was headed on by Reid but there was no Bay player able to latch onto the ball and take advantage and then a free kick from C. Buchan was easily collected by Sherman.

Buchan then saved the Bay again with a great save tipping a Mark Wood effort from twenty yards around the post for a corner and Buchan headed the ball off the line following a Smith header from the corner by Legge.

The Bay did have a chance, when Whyte headed a Sime free kick goalward; however, Sherman got down well to tip the ball around the post.The home side went further ahead after 81 minutes when Legge broke clear of a static Bay defence and ran on to put the ball past Buchan The Bay’s misery was compounded in the final minutes when Sime was red-carded following two bookable offences.

CRUDEN BAY: S. Buchan, C. Buchan, Wisely, Sime, GLENDINNING,, Mair, Findlay, Ramsay, Stainton, Reid, Whyte, Subs: Sangster, Arthur, Inglis, McKessick.